New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Acrylic 22" Cinema Display (early DVI type), Blank Screen with Macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

janusoo

janusoo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos

Howdy folks,

Love Mac-forums! I often resolve my Apple problems by searching here. This one is rather specific and I haven't found anything to address it, so here goes;

I recently acquired an acrylic 22" Apple Cinema Display. I'm trying to use it as an external display for my Macbook (MB, not MBP, 2.2 GHz C2D, I think early 2008 model. Bought as a refurb from Apple in late summer that year.).

I've connected all the cables (power supply, USB and DVI cable with Mini-DVI adapter) to the MB. The power light on the monitor is amber, steady glow. When the Mini-DVI adapter goes into the Mac's port, you get the momentary blink as it detects the display and I'm then able to move the cursor off-screen, so the MB clearly detects it. When I press the power button in the monitor, the shut-down menu appears.

If I understand correctly, that model MB doesn't have a separate graphics processor, but I BELIEVE it should still be able to handle a 22" monitor.

I think I'm going to open up the monitor and have a peak to see if anything is obviously fried. There is what appears to be a coffee stain underneath the bezel just below the Apple logo on the front of the monitor, which kinda makes me say "Hmmm..." Hopefully, I'll be able to fix it.

My question is this: is there anything else you think I can try to get the external display to display? A driver, perhaps? On the Apple website, I found that there was a CD-ROM with software that came with this monitor when it was sold new.

Attached is an image of the monitor's cables and power supply to help reduce some confusion. You can see that it is not the ADC cable that came on models soon after this one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110628_110917.jpg (425.6 KB, 9 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« application for scanner using on ibook G4 | How can I view a shared USB external hard drive through my Netgear wirless router? »