New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Connect Macbook Pro to Samsung HDTV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lancebvs

lancebvs is on a distinguished road

I need help connecting my Macbook Pro to my Samsung HDTV. My macbook pro has the mini display port (purchased end of '09).

I came across this cable:
For only $7.42 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6ft 32AWG Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable - White | Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables

this seems it will connect to the hdmi input on my tv? And also, with this cable I no longer need the adapter, right?

Lastly, where can i buy a good toslink cable that will connect my macbook pro to the samsung for audio? There is one on apple's site but it costs $20; wondering if there is something cheaper out there.

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

"Assuming" you are correct about the ports at both sides then, yes, that cable should work fine for the video portion. (and assuming the Samsung will work with your Mac)

You can get a toslink cable at the same place. However, as far as I am aware, there is not a single TV on the market that will accept an optical input at all, much less optical combined with the HDMI port.

You need to open up your owner's manual for the TV and read post # 3 here to know what you're looking for.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lancebvs

Here is the tv I have:
Get Downloads, Firmware, Manuals and Software for Samsung LN32C450E1DXZA

So should I get the toslink cable or rca cables that have the yellow/white ends?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You should not get either one of those if you are going to connect via HDMI.

Review the picture at the top of page 8 in the manual for the two ports labeled as DVI.
Video is through the HDMI 1 port.
That DVI audio port accepts a 3.5mm stereo mini jack the same as on your Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
lancebvs

Is there a good dvi cable you would recommend for the audio?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancebvs View Post
Is there a good dvi cable you would recommend for the audio?
You will not use a DVI cable, you will use a:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
... 3.5mm stereo mini jack the same as on your Mac.
Should be able to find one of these cables practically anywhere online for a couple of bucks and probably well under $10 at your favorite local electronics store.

(You are trying to connect to the ports on the TV labled for a DVI device - has nothing to do with the connection type on the TV. Read post # 3 in the first link I provided for a better understanding.)

QUOTE Thanks
lancebvs

Is this the cable you are referring to?

Uninex MN06-Black (mn06) 6 ft. 3.5mm to 3.5mm Aux Cable, Great
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Yeppers, that's the one.

Or this one from monoprice in a 6'.

QUOTE Thanks
lancebvs

Thanks for all the info! I received the two cables today. Basically I got it to work but have some questions for you.

I plugged the hdmi cable into my macbook pro into the display port and into the tv into the hdmi in 1 port. The video is working so I assume I did it right.

Now as for the audio, on the tv side it is plugged into the 'PC/DVI IN'. I think that it is right (is it)?? On my macbook pro, initially I plugged it into the port right next to the headphone jack. Nothing worked. Then I plugged it in the actual headphone jack and it works. Is that how it is supposed to be??

Last question, I thought the volume would be controlled by my tv remote. On my setup it is controlled by the volume on my mac. Is that an error on my part or the way it should be?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If you want audio to go "out" of your Mac, then you would plug the cable into the audio "out" port, not the audio "in" port. Yes, the "headphone" port is the audio "out" port.

Turn the volume up on your Mac, then control it with the TV remote. If you turn the volume to zero on your Mac, meaning you are not not sending any audio signal out, then no, your TV would not control what does not exist.

Hope that makes sense.

QUOTE Thanks
lancebvs

Question for you. The other day I tried to connect my macbook pro to a different samsung hdtv using the same cables. The tv couldn't read the connection. I tried all 4 different HDMI ports and none worked- would click on 'source' on the tv- nothing.

Any ideas why on my personal samsung hdtv everything works smoothly yet on this one no connection could be established?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I think there are some models that expect the computer to be plugged into a specific port. That may not necessarily be the HDMI port. Does that TV have a port that resembles a VGA monitor port?

@Bobtomay I feel your presence. Am I wrong about the connection?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

Don't blame me if following this advice causes loss of data, a rip in space time allowing dinosaurs to roam free, or your significant other to leave.
QUOTE Thanks
lancebvs

I tried all 4 different HDMI ports. There is no VGA port.

The tv was purchased less than a month ago.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Not sure what it is you mean by clicking on "source". Whatever input you have it connected to, you need to hit the 'input' button and change it to that input.

I would personally, check the owner's manual for the new TV and see which HDMI port will work with a separate audio in and use that one.

Once you have the TV set to the correct input, then work through the troubleshooting steps in Post 2, Item 1 here.

After going thru that and still no go, I'd reset the SMC and try it again.

QUOTE Thanks
lancebvs

Source is the input button. On Samsung remotes it is called the source button which you choose your input (i.e HDMI1).

What is SMC?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2.5" FW800 HDD enclosure recommendation? | Hard Drive not showing up in Disc Utility »