New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Setting up an external display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dphershman

dphershman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen

I've recently migrated from a PC desktop to a MBP laptop with an NEC external monitor for critical photo work in Photoshop CS5. I'm struggling a bit with the mutliple displays.

If I mirror the external monitor the resolution of the NEC is the same as the laptop, not the higher resolution that the monitor is capable of.

If I extend the external monitor the resolution of the NEC is fine, but then I'm always having go back and forth between the two monitors to drag images and make tool setting changes--- a bit of a pain really.

Finally, I've got the NEC correctly color calibrated with Spectraview, but the calibration is also affecting the MCP laptop color, so the laptop screen doesn't look as good as it should (although it may just be difference that my eye sees between the quality of the NEC versus the MBP.)

Can anyone recommend information on how to sort this out? Things were a bit easier when dealing with just a desktop and a single monitor, but I do like the portability of the MBP at times too.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Moved thread as it didn't belong in Images, Graphic Design and Digital Photography.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dphershman

dphershman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Moved thread as it didn't belong in Images, Graphic Design and Digital Photography.

it seemed to me that the questions I raised concerning using an external display with consistent Color calibration and resolution across both the MBP and NEC monitors might be best answered in the digital imaging forum as those users are the ones most likely to be using this type of arrangement--- but if these questions can be answered in this particular group so be it.

thanks
Dan
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mini Display to HDMI (adapter or cable) HELP | Mac RAID Backup box Also TimeMachine »