New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Will a USB 2.0 device work on a USB 1.1 port?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dennis495

dennis495 is on a distinguished road

Hello, everyone! I'm looking to buy an external drive with Lightscribe for my Mac desktop. The usb ports on the Mac are either 1.0 or 1.1 (Up to 480 Mb/sec). All of the newer external drives that I've seen have 2.0 usb ports. Am I out of luck or will they work together? I'm using OSX 10.6.7. Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

It should, the spec as I recall indicates that devices be forward and backward compatible.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, 2.0 is backward compatible. 1 is not forward compatible.

That is:

A USB 1 or 1.1 device will work on a 2.0 port - the port is backwards compatible.

A USB 2 device will not work on a 1.1 port - the port is not forward compatible.

NOTE: There are no Macs capable of running 10.6.7 that do not have USB 2 ports. If you have an Intel Mac, you have USB 2.

If you're looking at System Profiler to see this info, what you are probably seeing is the mouse you have plugged in, which is more than likely a USB 1 device.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I've used 2.0 devices on 1.1 ports. I swear. It's been a long time since I've read the spec though. Remember all that will happen is the throughput will be stepped back.

But, I could be wrong

mike
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Gotta go with Dysfunction on this one. If you have a USB 2.0 device - for the most part - you can use it on a 1.1 port - the only exception might be if it requires a certain current draw - believe they raised the limit as the spec progressed. YOu will of course be limited to USB 1.x data rates.

To the OP - the 480 Mbps ports you describe are actually USB 2.0 - so you're in luck anyway you read this thread.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Well, won't say it won't work at all - never tried it myself. Heard too many stories of USB 2 drives not functioning properly on USB 1 though.

But that shouldn't be a concern here. If he's running 10.6.7, he's got USB 2.

QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

What's with all you guys running in stealth mode these days
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Got tired of newbs PMing me wanting one on one tech support for free a couple of years ago instead of posting in the forum.

QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Yea, if it's 480Mb/s it's 2.0 1.x is 1.5Mb/s for .0 and 12Mb/s for .1

I missed the speed reference the first time

mike
QUOTE Thanks
dennis495

dennis495 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, everyone! Are the any recommendation for an external drive?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Bluetooth Keyboard + Macbook Pro + Win7 Bootcamp | Mini Display to HDMI (adapter or cable) HELP »