New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

G-Drive for macbook pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gavin

gavin is on a distinguished road

Hows it going guys im new to this so bare with me if im in the wrong sections or something.

I just bought a g drive (external hard drive) 750gb and had a question im pretty sure i know the answer to it but for a better piece of mind i just wanted to double check.

After backing everything up to this gdrive thru time machine am i able to delete the original files off my macintosh hd to free up some space? and if i need the files i deleted i can just go through them from the time machine. correct?

thanks for any help and responses
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

You can, but if the G-Drive gets full, Time Machine will start to delete older items.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

My first inclination and recommendation when someone asks about deleting files from their Mac is don't do it. Unless you have some useless programs that you installed or a bunch of junk files (old music, videos, mp3s, etc) that you want to get rid of, leave everything else alone.

Time Machine can backup everything on the hard drive but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to make room on the hard drive. If you need more space, buy a larger internal hard drive or another external hard drive for storage.
QUOTE Thanks
gavin

yea no i have a good size hard drive its just getting filled with files from last year and earlier so i barely open them anymore but at this time im iffy about deleting them without any chance of getting them back
QUOTE Thanks
gavin

obv not a good size tho if i came close to filling it up already haha
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
yea no i have a good size hard drive its just getting filled with files from last year and earlier so i barely open them anymore but at this time im iffy about deleting them without any chance of getting them back
Have you considered Archiving them to an External Drive.
This lets you still keep them but allows you to remove them from your Internal Drive?

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Printer Issue | HP Deskjet F335 all-in-one »