New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

15" MacBook Pro sees Cinema HD display, but display has no power and is only black.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

circlesoffire

circlesoffire is on a distinguished road

I'm having trouble connecting my 15" MacBook Pro (2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR3, OSX 10.5.8) to my 23" Cinema HD Display. I am running out of the MiniDisplay port to a DVI adapter, into the DVI cable of the display. I have plugged in the USB and Firewire 400 cables (daisy-chained into my Firewire800 port via a LaCie drive), just in case that was an issue. However, what happens is that Display Preferences can see the Cinema HD display, and the laptop display will blue screen and reset if I unplug the adapter and replug the adapter, but the Cinema display remains black with no power light on at all.

I use this Mini-Display port to DVI adapter regularly with other DVI connections and monitors and do not have trouble with it there (this is on a variety of screens, HPs and Dells, etc). I swap and control monitors like this all the time in my line of work (video playback on film/tv sets) with this laptop, so I know it's not particularly finicky.

I also use this Cinema HD monitor with my PowerMac G5 (Dual 2Ghz Power PC G5, 3GB SDRAM, 10.4.11) and it appears and operates correctly with that computer, so I know that at least the cables and connectors potentially should work together.

I've run DiskUtility on the MacBook Pro and both repaired and verified the disk and repaired and verified permissions. I've reset the PRAM and the SMC -- no dice. Nothing changes.

The graphics card on the MacBook Pro (for the display port) is an NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT. The graphics card on the PowerMac G5 is an ATI Radeon 9600 XT. When I plug in the components of the Cinema HD display back into the PowerMac G5, and turn that computer back on, everything comes up fine.

The goal is to be able to hook up the MacBook Pro to this Cinema HD display and use either as a mirror or an extended desktop. I'm at a loss as to why the two are not speaking to each other. Am I missing a driver or something? Any help would be much appreciated.

Emily
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Does your particular 23" Cinema Display require an Apple proprietary ADC cable in order to work? The ADC cable also supplies power in addition the video signal which may be why yours is not working with your MBP but works OK with the G5.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video and Share Screen HELP! | Connecting new display - which adapter »