New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Alternative webcam to iSight?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

citystar2k

citystar2k is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.

Hi, i'll be going on holiday early next year back to the Philippines. Most of the places i'll be staying at will have a internet connection so i'm looking to purchase a webcam for my Powerbook to show my friends the place via MSN Messenger/Yahoo messenger. Only problem is the iSight is way too expensive for my liking. Does anybody here have a cheaper alternative webcam? And how does it perform?

QUOTE Thanks
DCraver

DCraver is a jewel in the roughDCraver is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac G5

Just get like a cheap Logitech, that's what I have. You can use a Mini DV camcorder too. I use that most of the time. It's pretty covenant, if you have one. Logitech ones look pretty nice and are like 20 bucks.
QUOTE Thanks
djeddiebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by citystar2k
Hi, i'll be going on holiday early next year back to the Philippines. Most of the places i'll be staying at will have a internet connection so i'm looking to purchase a webcam for my Powerbook to show my friends the place via MSN Messenger/Yahoo messenger. Only problem is the iSight is way too expensive for my liking. Does anybody here have a cheaper alternative webcam? And how does it perform?
I picked a cheap one up at Mega Mall when I was there in July. Worked good, but I left it there for my cousin to use.

Have fun. I wish I could go for New Years, but it looks like they'll see me in June.

Eddie.
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCraver
Just get like a cheap Logitech, that's what I have. You can use a Mini DV camcorder too. I use that most of the time. It's pretty covenant, if you have one. Logitech ones look pretty nice and are like 20 bucks.
Do you need any software for the Powerbook to recognise a dv cam as a webcam?

QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

Ah, just tried it, works ok, for YM, cant seem to find a webcam option for MSN though.

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by citystar2k
Ah, just tried it, works ok, for YM, cant seem to find a webcam option for MSN though.
There is no webcam option for MSN yet, MS does a poor job of keeping it up to date

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« D-Link DBT-120 With Motorola Phone | Major Lacie Problem - Need Input!!!!! »