New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Hit the IIgs jackpot! (Pics)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMan886

MacMan886 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB 840 Pro SSD, 250GB HD

So yesterday I was hunting for computers on craigslist... I happened to be looking in the free section and came across "apple ii gs". Description said "free IIGS, 4 floppy drives, hard drive, monitor, system, system saver, keyboard, printer, all cables, and a ton of floppies."

So I panicked and frantically emailed the person and was the first to get a hold of him. Drove 22 miles there to Westlake get it...and was glad to.

What was included - system, color monitor, Kensington System Saver IIGS, 2 3.5" drives, 3 5.25 drives (One's a Laser brand), a 80MB external hard drive, ImageWriter II (Which DOES work!), cables, books, and a TON of programs. Everything works, and the hard drive has System 6 loaded on it with Appleworks and a few other programs.

Pics - Click to expand

Yes, thekeyboard's dirty, I havent cleaned it yet.

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 256GB HD, Yosemite
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quite a haul you got there...congratulations! It's really awesome that you basically got a complete setup...including software...so you can start playing with it right away, without having to search for other items.

Of course as you know...speed is the key. Be the first one to e-mail the seller & be the first one to get to the sellers home!

Congrats again,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

Yeah, I have been having some pretty good luck lately... mainly because I have my eyes glued to craigslist as much as I possibly can.

Only bad thing is I am having a hard time using it. It took me a while to figure out how to get into the menu to adjust settings and such, and also took me a while to boot from the hard drive (Read the HD interface card manual and figured it out). I also figured out how to boot from disks.

I have a IIe, but the furthest I went with it was sticking Number Munchers or some other game in it and booting from the disk.

I'm just glad I finally have a IIgs... I've wanted one since I first used one in 1994 in Kindergarten. We played MANY education games on them, including Oregon trail. 1994-1995 was the last year our school had them, the year after they switched to the all-in-ones

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 256GB HD, Yosemite
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

That's a great find, keep on to it.

Puts my old (working) SE30 to shame, that's almost pre macintosh

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

sweeet. well done!

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Congrats I had used some II+ and IIe machines but the GS was the first computer I owned. Kept it running long past the point where it was hard to get software. Enjoy it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Did u get load runner? II gs was the first computer my family owned. Congrats on the good find

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Did u get load runner?
Thanks for the reminder...that was certainly a VERY popular game!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

Ok...

So I have an addiction to this GS. I have been plastered to it for hours on end for the past few days... learning BASIC programming and playing games.

I think I may have a problem! I even went so far as to go on a search online to find GS specific abandonware to put on floppies to play on it. My problem is I am not sure how to get it on the floppies from a Windblows PC.

I might have to put the HD in my MDD on the SCSI card to put games on it.

I am William, and I have a problem.

BTW - For those that want to know, the computer has a RAM-GS 4MB expansion card and a RAMFast Revision D SCSI card, in which I found out that both still fetch over $100 a piece!

-William
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan886 View Post

I think I may have a problem! I even went so far as to go on a search online to find GS specific abandonware to put on floppies to play on it. My problem is I am not sure how to get it on the floppies from a Windblows PC.
I'm guessing what you may mean to say is...you can't get on the internet with your IIgs...and if there is IIgs software on the internet (abandonware)...how do you get it on floppies so you can use the software on the IIgs.

I'm thinking that you need either a Mac or Windows computer with a floppy drive (same floppy disk size [3.5" or 5.25"] & density as the IIgs)...which is also capable of getting on the internet. Have the floppy disk formatted for the II gs...then you just download directly to a floppy in the disk drive.

Relatively easy if you have all the proper hardware...tough if you don't.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Any suggestion for firewire dual bay enclosure ? | Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo »