New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

PC SATA drive to MacBook Pro problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Deacon Lively

Deacon Lively is on a distinguished road

I took out a PC SATA drive and tried to hook it up to my macbook pro for use as an external drive but it doesn't read for some reason and calls for me to erase everything that was on it. Any way to not erase things so that it will mount on desktop? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

The PC drive is likely formatted as NTFS. A Mac can read but not write to by default to a NTFS drive. You will need a special driver to write to that drive. That's why Disk Utility, wants you to erase the drive. If you intend to use the drive for your Mac only, you can erase and format it to HFS Journaled. If you want to use it for both your Mac and PC, format it to FAT-32.
QUOTE Thanks
Deacon Lively

Alright I think I get it. Will I still be able to access whatever is on it after I format it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No!!!!

Formatting will erase all data on the drive.

If you don't have that data backed up, first suggestion is to do so.
Second would be to grab Paragon's NTFS for OS X to enable writing to NTFS volumes.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Deacon Lively

Well it paragon's NTFS doesn't seem to be working. Disk does not come up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« For users w/ 8GB memory; Why do you need your RAM? | Printer not speaking to MAC »