New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External DVD-Drive to load OS X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rgivans

Can I use an external DVD drive to load OS X on my iBook?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

no, you can try using xpostfacto.
QUOTE Thanks
Reflow

Reflow is on a distinguished road

Can't you just get the cd verion of tiger and load it into the iBook as long as the iBook has a firewire port RIGHT.

[
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

yes, but he'd still have to pay the $130 for the tiger dvd, then ship it back to apple plus another 10 for the cost of the discs and a little more for s&h.
QUOTE Thanks
Reflow

Reflow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
yes, but he'd still have to pay the $130 for the tiger dvd, then ship it back to apple plus another 10 for the cost of the discs and a little more for s&h.
Macman,
Welcome back haven't seen you in a while.

[
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

I'm around, theres a thread, I was offline totally for a week like a week ago.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgivans
Can I use an external DVD drive to load OS X on my iBook?
If there's another Mac around, you can put the other machine in Target Mode, connect the two machines via Firewire, and load from there.

I loaded Tiger on my CD-only G3 iBook by putting my OSX DVD in my G4 iBook and booting it into Target Mode. The DVD appeared on the G3's screen, so it was "click" and we were off to the races. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Really? That worked?
Shouldn't a firewire dvd drive work as well then?

I know a usb dvd drive won't, but if target disk mode worked...
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Really? That worked?
Shouldn't a firewire dvd drive work as well then?

I know a usb dvd drive won't, but if target disk mode worked...
Well, it certainly seemed to work; I am typing this on a G3 iBook running Tiger right now. :-)

Yes, using Target Disk Mode in this way works.

I have no idea if a Firewire DVD drive would work, since I don't own one.
QUOTE Thanks
rgivans

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23
Well, it certainly seemed to work; I am typing this on a G3 iBook running Tiger right now. :-)

Yes, using Target Disk Mode in this way works.

I have no idea if a Firewire DVD drive would work, since I don't own one.

Dude thats awesome news.
So I should be bale to hook up a External DVD Drive with a firewire and hold T at the start up. I dont have money for a new drive and someone I know has an external DVD drive they will let me use is why Im going this route. I opted for more RAM and decided to wait on the Combo Drive. Thanks for the help you guys. :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well we learn something new every day...

Let us know if that works for ya.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

(mods-- please delete-- sorry)
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgivans
Dude thats awesome news.
So I should be bale to hook up a External DVD Drive with a firewire and hold T at the start up. I dont have money for a new drive and someone I know has an external DVD drive they will let me use is why Im going this route. I opted for more RAM and decided to wait on the Combo Drive. Thanks for the help you guys. :headphone
That's not exactly what I said.

What I said was "if there's another Mac around, put it in target mode"-- in order to do what I did, you need two Macs and the second one needs to be in target mode. Read reply #7 above closely.

And as I told Aptmunich above, I don't know if an external firewire DVD drive would work since I never tried it.
QUOTE Thanks
rgivans

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23
That's not exactly what I said.

What I said was "if there's another Mac around, put it in target mode"-- in order to do what I did, you need two Macs and the second one needs to be in target mode. Read reply #7 above closely.

And as I told Aptmunich above, I don't know if an external firewire DVD drive would work since I never tried it.

I read your first post correctly. I dont have another mac that has a DVD Rom. Plus if you can put it in target mode as long as there is a firewire cable doing the transferring I dont see why it wouldnt work. I should be attempting this within the next few days and I will post my out come when I do so.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

If you have a DVD ROM drive connected to an iBook that's in Target Mode, you'll effectively have two disks connected to each other with no operating system between them. This will not allow you to load an OS.

All Target Mode does is make the media on a Mac available via Firewire to another box.

Since perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough, let me try one more time. In this scenario, your iBook is iBook "A":

- You have an iBook (iBook "A") with a CD-ROM drive and you want to load Tiger on it. I assume it is shut off.

- Your Tiger media is on DVD.

- You get ahold of another iBook (iBook "B") that has a DVD ROM drive.

- Put the Tiger DVD into iBook "B" and shut it down.

- Plug a Firewire cable between iBooks "A" and "B."

- Boot iBook "B" into Target Mode (hold down the "T" key).

- Start up iBook "A" and hold the "Option" key down after the startup sound. You will see icons for the devices you can boot from. Click the icon for the Tiger Media, which is now mounted from iBook "B" and click the arrow.

- The installation process will begin.

This is the procedure I followed when I loaded Tiger onto my G3 iBook that does not have a DVD drive.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scanner Help - Going Nuts | transfering window files to an external hd for a mini mac via macdrive? »