New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

worlds smallest thumb drive excellent for mac air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

I just got a white Elago nano usb reader. This thing is hot. it takes a micrSD card. The adapter is 9 bucks and its about 60 bucks for a 32 gig microSD card.

enclosed is a blurry shot of it on my air. doesnt stick to far out eh for 32 gigs. I could just leave it there as a spare drive.

IMG_0367.jpg

here is the adapter at amazon. the sd card fits inside of the silver adapter part so its just a nub.

Amazon.com: ELAGO Nano Mobile Micro SD Reader-World Smallest (EL-RD-012,White): Electronics
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

( OOps Irrelevant )

Thanks for sharing that. Looks awesome and clean and small and cute and ..... and ..... lol

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Thats a cool piece of kit, tiny indeed, been looking for a small thumb drive myself, may just have to purchase one of these!

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Thats a cool piece of kit, tiny indeed, been looking for a small thumb drive myself, may just have to purchase one of these!

- Simon
I guess I'm a sucker for things like this. I bought one after following the link.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Haha, same here, have bought a couple of things after reading threads here. My cupboard really is full of old (but not useless tech). Can't help myself

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

I have a tiny usb drive. its just a nub that sticks out. it holds 32 gigs so its quite feasible to just leave it there since its so small. unfortunatly im having problems whenever the computer goes to sleep. specifically device not ejected problems.

I did a google search thinking it was my usb thumb drive only to find out this problem is actually well known if you search for it. It happens with all kinds of thumb drives and external sd card mechanisms on macosx. This device ejection problem turns out to be a more common issue then i had hoped. I was happy it wasnt my new thumb drive, but dissapointed i couldnt do what i had hoped.

One site had suggested to turn off powering hard drives in power settings. this did in fact lessen the issue. I thought at first it cured it completely in the end though i got the message again. Once you get the message once the drive is almost unusable. it becomes really unstable and may connect and disconnect at will. until you properly eject then reinsert the drive.

Another site had suggested to turn sleep off and just set it to turn monitor off. i didnt play with this setting because i really dont want to keep the machine running like that all the time even when im sleeping just for a thumb drive.

I know in windows you can actually tell the os that a removable disk is actually a non removable drive. I was wondering if OSX had this feature. Maybe if it thought it was a non removable disk it would give me less trouble.

has anyone actually used a usb drive and sorta been able to have it connected all the time withou issue. any suggestions how to do it.

pics below how small 32 gigs has gotten
Attachment 14507
Attachment 14506
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0371.JPG (84.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.JPG (121.6 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

I just wanted to post that leaving in the thumb drive isnt working that well. I actually tested it with over a dozen different types of thumb drives and there is always a ejection error message coming from sleep.

On one hand im happy its not the new thumb drive but on another its disappointing that osx has issues with this. if you search google about leaving a usb device attached to mac osx you will get all kinds of hits about this ejection message. it seems there is a hardware update for some things that stop the message but basic usb devices like thumb drives are sol. I know of no fix for thumb drives that actually works. feel free to pm me if you know of a fix or a patch that makes it work like a regular drive.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarisurfer View Post
I just wanted to post that leaving in the thumb drive isnt working that well. I actually tested it with over a dozen different types of thumb drives and there is always a ejection error message coming from sleep.

On one hand im happy its not the new thumb drive but on another its disappointing that osx has issues with this. if you search google about leaving a usb device attached to mac osx you will get all kinds of hits about this ejection message. it seems there is a hardware update for some things that stop the message but basic usb devices like thumb drives are sol. I know of no fix for thumb drives that actually works. feel free to pm me if you know of a fix or a patch that makes it work like a regular drive.
My rule of thumb for thumb drives is if you aren't using it eject it. (See what I did there? ) That way it doesn't drain unnecessary power. Secondly I don't like things sticking out the side.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

i agree about ejecting. but did you see how far it sticks out from the side, (i posted a pic). its actually feasible to leave it there if you could some how. if i have to eject it all the time it sorta destroys the point of its size.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarisurfer View Post
...has anyone actually used a usb drive and sorta been able to have it connected all the time withou issue.
As the price of good-sized flash drives has become very reasonable recently, the question of using a flash drive as an external hard drive replacement has been coming up more and more.

Example:
32GB flash drive for $45
32GB Pen Drive (Flash Memory) USB 2.0 (CCH): OEMPCworld.com

I often recommend that clients use flash drives as part of a backup scheme that includes using hard drives for both clone and versioned backups. I suggest that they often also backup just their Documents folder to a flash drive and keep the flash drive on their person at all times as sort of a fail-safe.

But I don't see that flash drives are reliable enough to use as a full-time dedicated external hard drive replacement. I see flash drives fail pretty regularly. Or sometimes they just start to behave oddly. When used as a portable temporary storage medium, that's no big deal. You can just reformat your flash drive using Disk Utility and start over. But you are in for much more inconvenience using a flash drive as an external hard drive substitute.

Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I used the same flash drive for three years, although it was beginning to behave erratically after about two years. I stuck with it until I saw how much better a new one worked, and retired the old one rather than maintaining two. I imagine that sudden failure is not beyond the pale. Using two, one as a "clone", would be safer than relying on just one.
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

Thanks for the feedback. I think you may be right Randy usb thumb drives do seem a bit flaky. often times the larger sizes seem to have mixed to bad reviews that make me wonder if the failure rate is higher with the larger size thumb drives.

I do keep a usb drive on my keychain at all times though.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Note: Merged both your posts together. No need to post about this topic in two different forums.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SSD or Non-SSD HD? | Mac printing over wifi on HP psc 2210 »