New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Partitioning external HDs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

I have a 500 GB external that currently has a lot of pictures and videos saved on it because they wouldn't fit on my internal.

I would like to use the free space on that external to do a carbon copy of my internal.

Is it possible to partition a certain amount of space on the external to do this without erasing the existing data on it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally, I wouldn't even try it unless you care nothing about any of those pics and videos. For $60-70, you can get another 500GB drive to create the clone and backup those pics/videos which you currently do not have backed up.

Better yet, for $100 or less you can get a 1 - 1.5 TB drive.

Edit: this just boils down to the same advice - don't play with partitionng a drive that contains data until that drive is backed up. Stuff happens.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Personally, I wouldn't even try it unless you care nothing about any of those pics and videos. For $60-70, you can get another 500GB drive to create the clone and backup those pics/videos which you currently do not have backed up.

Better yet, for $100 or less you can get a 1 - 1.5 TB drive.

Edit: this just boils down to the same advice - don't play with partitionng a drive that contains data until that drive is backed up. Stuff happens.
That's where I'm leaning. The only problem is that I believe I'm on the verge of hard drive failure and I want to back up as soon as possible. I can go my normal route and simply copy and paste my important documents, images, movies, etc. to the external to save those, but I'd ultimately like to make a bootable copy should I need to put in a new drive.

The problem with ordering a new hard drive is right now I'm not 100% sure we have the extra money to get one right now because I have to renew my license plates this month (**** DMV!), and even if I can go ahead and buy them I'd have to wait for it to be delivered. Oh well...such is the life of a computer owner.

I was hoping you could safely partition a used hard drive...but I was anticipating the answer you gave.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Disk Utility is suppose to be able to safely re-size partitions without data loss, but I've never done it.

However, all of those other utilities that can do the same which I have used time and again without issue, I've seen them on the rare occasion of 'something' happening to cause data loss.

Don't know if DU will only re-size HFS partitions or any format - a google would probably answer that.

If your external is formatted as HFS, and you feel the internal is about to die, I'd probably try a Time Machine back up instead of resizing and doing a clone. A TM backup can be written to a drive with other data on it - but it has to be HFS.

QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Disk Utility is suppose to be able to safely re-size partitions without data loss, but I've never done it.

However, all of those other utilities that can do the same which I have used time and again without issue, I've seen them on the rare occasion of 'something' happening to cause data loss.

Don't know if DU will only re-size HFS partitions or any format - a google would probably answer that.

If your external is formatted as HFS, and you feel the internal is about to die, I'd probably try a Time Machine back up instead of resizing and doing a clone. A TM backup can be written to a drive with other data on it - but it has to be HFS.
Ahhh...that's good to know. I'm only familiar with the Carbon Copy Cloner program since I just used it a few months ago when I upgraded the hard drive (I think the new HD is defective). A few quick questions about time machine and I'll do the rest of my research on google/youtube.

1. Does time machine back up software? I have Adobe CS3 installed on my computer, but I don't have the installation disk. I don't want to lose this program!

2. Will time machine create a bootable copy of my hard drive?

The advantage to CCC is that if I DO have to replace the hard drive, I will have an exact copy of it on the external that I could then copy onto the new internal (whenever I get one). I'm hoping time machine will do the same.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

1. Yes, it backs up everything. I have seen folks say they have restored everything without issue, and I've heard you may need your discs to reinstall some apps - like MS Office and the CS suite - so I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

2. Nope - TM backup is not bootable - it requires you to reinstall the OS and import from the backup. (I use SuperDuper! instead of CCC.)

(Guess maybe I should do a TM restore myself to experiment sometime.)

QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Not that I'm recommending it...but I did exactly what the OP was inquiring...partition with data already on the drive and was successful...I partitioned using Mac HFS - Journaled and did a clone with CCC...worked for me...but I was ok with potential data loss...at the time. ( To clarify, I re-partitioned an existing drive...perhaps not the exact same..)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« High Volume Scanner | Network faxing »