New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

For users w/ 8GB memory; Why do you need your RAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IIsGII

IIsGII has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Pro [2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD]

Topic. I use my 13" MBP for personal use and some schoolwork, and 4GB of RAM is more than enough memory to run plenty of programs and operations. I'm just curious what you guys do that requires so much RAM.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

For some people it's not.

It's kind of like asking why people need 64GB of RAM on a Mac Pro to render. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Another benifit would be able to assign more memory to a virtual OS without slowing the
host down.
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
For some people it's not.

It's kind of like asking why people need 64GB of RAM on a Mac Pro to render. >_>"
Haha, that is really funny. My dad has a Mac Pro. I want it

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Graphic designing, heavy Photoshop, commercial printing design etc etc etc.

Topic. Why would anyone buy a laptop and not a Mac Pro? Simply horses for courses.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

For When I am using a lot of Sampler instruments in Logic/Pro Tools, or Photoshop. i also do a lot of multitasking.

I wish I had a Mac Pro.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
tsxser

tsxser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Graphic designing, heavy Photoshop, commercial printing design etc etc etc.

Topic. Why would anyone buy a laptop and not a Mac Pro? Simply horses for courses.
Could not agree more. As you get more layer intensive, CS5 desires more.

I have 4GB right now, but Ill be upgrading to 8GB soon.

MBP-13in-i5
JLeveritt.com
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

I just bought 2 sticks of 2 GB of RAM for my Mac Book. It maxes out at 4, so I can't do anything crazy like 8

- Kyle
QUOTE Thanks
duncanbrodie1

duncanbrodie1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video

I do a lot of video editing, and often need to run final cut pro, apple color, compressor and sometimes even dvd studio pro all at the same time and its nice to be able to render a thing or two simultaneously. The extra ram is definitely required.
could use more but my mbp maxes out at 8
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RAID with LIAN LI ex-50 doesn't work | PC SATA drive to MacBook Pro problems »