New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MagicWand Device

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I just came across this product at the Apple Store:

Twelve South MagicWand - Apple Store (U.S.)

One of my first questions/thoughts when the Magic Trackpad first came out was...why didn't Apple release an integrated wireless keyboard & Magic Trackpad combo???

This "MagicWand" device sort of bridges the gap (literally)!

- Nick

p.s. $29.95 may be a bit steep though.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Interesting, but I like to have my trackpad further away to the right, where it falls naturally under my right hand. I think this would restrict the use of the trackpad somewhat actually.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Interesting, but I like to have my trackpad further away to the right, where it falls naturally under my right hand. I think this would restrict the use of the trackpad somewhat actually.
I like to use my keyboard/input device on my lap from time to time.

For example feet on the desk...sitting back in the chair (where two separate wired or bluetooth devices...keyboard & mouse...are a bit unwieldy). Or while I'm on the couch watching TV...with my laptop on a table nearby.

Up to this point Apple does not make a wireless integrated keyboard & mouse device for this sort of "ergonomic positioning".

I'm honestly not sure this "MagicWand" device would even satisfy my needs...since the MagicWand seems to only attach at the "rounded" upper portion of the keyboard & Magic TrackPad. So if I was to use everything on my lap (versus on a solid-flat desktop)...I could see the two devices independently flexing or pivoting (nothings perfect I guess...in this case).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Looking at this video, MagicWand - MagicWand - Twelve South , it looks like there is a strip that goes between the keyboard and the Trackpad to keep the two from flexing independently. I do see a couple of issues with this though. I know some people like to turn the keyboard off when not in use. For right handed users, this would not be possible as the Trackpad will be covering the power button on the keyboard. It also shows in the video that the two are taped together as well as being in the Wand device. So, being taped together as well is going to make it very inconvenient to turn the keyboard on and off if you are one that does turn it off when not in use, not to mention turning it back on when you change the batteries. And one more thing...you are also going to have to take the setup apart to change the batteries in the Trackpad as well.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

@Nick. Thanks for the link. Cant seem to find it in the Aust store but seems to be getable through there website . . . . Looks nice and functional IMO for me anyways I see this for just this reason to sit on the lounge feet up. For me it will basically be controlling a media centre so no hardcore typing or use. Perfect

@Chef some nice pointers there.

I have been wanting a Mac Mini for a Media Center and wanted a keyboard/trackpad integration and i think this is it. As i will be controlling it from the lounge i needed the 2 together and the thought of needing to take it apart to change batteries is nothing for me.

It would never be turned off as that just isnt me and i have a rechargeable batterie array at home so will always have power.
In the design and simplicity of the contraption i think they are on a winner there. This will be just the thing to add to my June buy up. iP4/Mac Mini with Bluetooth Keyboard/Trackpad . . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_eam View Post
Looking at this video, MagicWand - MagicWand - Twelve South , it looks like there is a strip that goes between the keyboard and the Trackpad to keep the two from flexing independently. I do see a couple of issues with this though. I know some people like to turn the keyboard off when not in use. For right handed users, this would not be possible as the Trackpad will be covering the power button on the keyboard. It also shows in the video that the two are taped together as well as being in the Wand device. So, being taped together as well is going to make it very inconvenient to turn the keyboard on and off if you are one that does turn it off when not in use, not to mention turning it back on when you change the batteries. And one more thing...you are also going to have to take the setup apart to change the batteries in the Trackpad as well.
Nice post...and thanks a ton for the link for that video! It did show that it is designed to be used "off the desktop"...so that's pretty cool. But it does seem to have it's shortcomings as you mentioned. But I can live with most of them if the assembled unit is fairly stable (not too flexible).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
@Nick. Thanks for the link. Cant seem to find it in the Aust store but seems to be getable through there website . . . . Looks nice and functional IMO for me anyways I see this for just this reason to sit on the lounge feet up. For me it will basically be controlling a media centre so no hardcore typing or use. Perfect
You're welcome! Yeah...I was just browsing the Apple Store...and came across it. Too bad it's not available at the Apple Store Australia. But like you mentioned...it can be purchased from:

Twelve South

Thanks for mentioning the "Twelve South" Website...they have some other neat Mac products as well!

I may have to actually consider getting it (after I find a good used Apple bluetooth keyboard)! Ha ha.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I thought that I would update this thread regarding the "MagicWand" device. According to another Mac-Forums member who purchased it...the MagicWand is made from plastic...not a nice solid piece of aluminum (as I would have expected for the $29.95 price):

Magic Wand from 12 south Cheap Plastic

So before you spend $29.95...you might want to take this into consideration.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Currently I use a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse with my Mac Mini media center, but have been thinking about switching to the Apple wireless keyboard.
I hadn't thought about trying the trackpad. Is it worth it compared to using a wireless mouse?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I hadn't thought about trying the trackpad. Is it worth it compared to using a wireless mouse?
YES!!!!!!!
I love the thing, it's brilliant. Go and try one in a store if you can. You'll buy it (if it's set up nicely)

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I think that it depends. When you use the trackpad on a laptop computer...your hand, wrist, and arm are in a different orientation then the way they are when you use a mouse on the flat surface of a desktop. I know folks who do not like the Magic Trackpad for this reason...hard on the wrist.

I think that the best way to decide...is go to the Apple Store and try one out. And/or...purchase one...get it home...and go for a test drive with your own setup. If you don't like it...you got 14 days.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think that it depends. When you use the trackpad on a laptop computer...your hand, wrist, and arm are in a different orientation then the way they are when you use a mouse on the flat surface of a desktop. I know folks who do not like the Magic Trackpad for this reason...hard on the wrist.

I think that the best way to decide...is go to the Apple Store and try one out. And/or...purchase one...get it home...and go for a test drive with your own setup. If you don't like it...you got 14 days.

- Nick
Nick,
Outstanding recommendation as always.
We don't have a local Apple Store but about due to visit the Mother-inlaw in St Louis. Looks like a side trip is in order.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Nick,
Outstanding recommendation as always.
We don't have a local Apple Store but about due to visit the Mother-inlaw in St Louis. Looks like a side trip is in order.
I also wanted to mention that I don't usually use my Magic Trackpad with my desktop computer...I prefer a "rollerball" type input device...or traditional mouse for that. I usually use my Magic Trackpad when I got my feet up on the desk...or when I'm watching TV with my feet on the coffee table (my laptop is on the coffee table as well)...and I'm surfing the internet using the Magic Trackpad.

The Magic Trackpad also comes in handy as a "long distance" input device with my Mac-Mini hooked up to my large screen TV...for navigating while streaming internet based entertainment like Hulu.

- Nick

p.s. Too bad about not having a local Apple Store!...I guess if you don't make it to St. Louis...you could always order one via the internet...and return it if you don't like it. Of course then you have to pay shipping. I haven't checked...does Best Buy sell them?...or maybe another computer/electronics store local to your area.

p.s.s. You could also consider getting a used one via e-Bay or Craig's List. New they cost $69 + tax...but they're selling for around $45-$50 on e-Bay.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Hadn't thought about Best Buy . . . Will give them a look.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I thought that I would update this thread regarding the "MagicWand" device. According to another Mac-Forums member who purchased it...the MagicWand is made from plastic...not a nice solid piece of aluminum (as I would have expected for the $29.95 price):

Magic Wand from 12 south Cheap Plastic
Ewwww In that case then !!!!

Thanks for the heads up Nick. Back to the drawing board lol

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD not mounting | printer asking for authenticator »