New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

MagicWand Device

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Ewwww In that case then !!!!

Thanks for the heads up Nick. Back to the drawing board lol
Yeah...I'm pretty disappointed. I have the Magic Trackpad...and I was looking into buying a used bluetooth Apple keyboard off e-Bay. Then getting this "MagicWand" to connect the two into one device that I can use while sitting on the couch...or while using my desktop with my feet propped up on the desk.

But now that I'm learning that the MagicWand is made of "silver-colored" plastic...not sure I want to pay $29.95US for this!!! I wasn't too crazy about paying this price when I thought it was made of aluminum...but PLASTIC...ughh!! Maybe $10-$15 bucks for plastic.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

I just came across this review of the MagicWand by MacWorld:

Twelve South MagicWand Review | Macworld

...it appears that MacWorld just reviewed it back in February, 2011. They confirm that it is a piece of "aluminum-colored plastic"!

In the review they also reference other devices for "coupling" or combining the Apple bluetooth keyboard & Magic Trackpad...made of wood, plastic, or aluminum. Here's the aluminum one:

...not exactly the most "elegant"...but the only choice made of aluminum. And it isn't cheap...costing $129 dollars + $10 shipping...YIKES!!!

- Nick

p.s. Here's a 2nd review:

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/18/twelv...ful-accessory/

...of course it's a positive review (no critical mention of it being expensive for a piece of aluminum colored plastic). Just goes to show how some reviewers just "suck up" to vendors to get a free sample!!!

p.p.s The MacWorld review is more "fair & balanced"...in that it does mention at least 3 drawbacks of the MagicWand.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

^^^ As much as i agree with you whole heartedly, in the last 20 mins i have been thinking about it this way . . . .

IS there another device out there that will fill the gap i am looking for ???
No not as yet there isnt.

So im thinking in the next 'x' amount of weeks if i cant find anything i will go ahead and purchase it. The plastic part does seem to work perfectly in the Video and safarisurfer also stated that it works the way intended, so if i purchase it and as i said fills the gap i want it to fill then Yes ill be happy.
For me $30 is a packet of smokes and a cpl of coffee's and if i can spend $30 on something that will aid in my death i think i can justify something to make my life happier and easier when im relaxing

But that is me.

I dont take back my Ewwww but maybe the "Back to the drawing board bit" lol

Cheers

EDIT

Wooooo Hold the train

Meh not that flash is it ugly in a sort of way but that i couldnt justify the $'s

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
For me $30 is a packet of smokes and a cpl of coffee's and if i can spend $30 on something that will aid in my death i think i can justify something to make my life happier and easier when im relaxing
With the added benefit of a $30 reduction in consumption of smokes.

Altogether, I think that is an outrageously reasonable way to look at the cost.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
IS there another device out there that will fill the gap i am looking for ???
No not as yet there isnt.
I agree. I haven't 100% decided that I won't get it. I think that it's a great idea...it's simple & doesn't take up any additional space. I'm mainly venting about the $29.95 price...for a piece of plastic!

Compared to the amount technology & cost of materials in the Apple bluetooth keyboard & the Magic Trackpad...each of these devices (in comparison to the MagicWand) should probably cost $500 each! Yes I know that there's a "volume sold" issue here...and cost of design & development...I'm just saying.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD not mounting | printer asking for authenticator »