New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

G4 466 Digital Audio... power supply

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMan886

MacMan886 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 60GB OWC SSD, 500GB HD

Hey guys, I'm picking up yet another Mac to add to my collection... a 466MHz Digital Audio tower. The downside is the power supply is bad. What I am wanting to know... is this something I can repair? I know how to solder and such, and I am wondering if I can take apart the power supply and fix it, or is this a case of just replacing the power supply?

Thanks!

-William
Late 2012 Mini - 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 60GB OWC SSD, 500GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan886 View Post
Hey guys, I'm picking up yet another Mac to add to my collection... a 466MHz Digital Audio tower. The downside is the power supply is bad. What I am wanting to know... is this something I can repair? I know how to solder and such, and I am wondering if I can take apart the power supply and fix it, or is this a case of just replacing the power supply?

Thanks!
I would bet that if you can accurately identify the part or parts in the power supply that are bad...if you are good with soldering/desoldering...and if you can locate a source for replacement parts...I'm sure it can be repaired. But like anything with old computers...is repairing it the best route financially.

Alternative routes could be:

- locate a cheap used replacement power supply
- locate a 2nd non-working Powermac G4 that uses the same power supply (power supply is good)...if you're lucky, these can be found for $10-$20 bucks. Actually working or not working these can be found for around $20 bucks.

Repairing the current non-working power supply would seem to be the least expensive option...and be the most satisfying from a "project" standpoint...but the replacement parts might actually cost you more than a whole working 2nd Powermac G4.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Here is a post on using an ATX power supply in a D.A. ATX power supplies are extremely cheap:-

How to use ATX power supply in Gigabit/Digital Audio - MacRumors Forums

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

Hmm... thanks for that link. However I found a guy that sells the conversion harness for $20. Can't beat the deal... I'm getting the computer for free, plus I already have a 375w ATX powers supply in my closet.

http://atxg4.com/

Even with that, I may attempt pulling apart the supply myself to find the cause of the failure.. it's obviously a common thing that may be fixable...

-William
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan886 View Post
Hmm... thanks for that link. However I found a guy that sells the conversion harness for $20. Can't beat the deal... I'm getting the computer for free, plus I already have a 375w ATX powers supply in my closet.
See that's what I'm saying. For $20 bucks you might get lucky & be able to buy a whole used Powermac G4. This past Summer I bought a Powermac G4 733mhz for $30 (with a printer & and a copy of 10.4, and extra ink). Last Friday I got a 500mhz G3 iMac for $15.

But in the grand scheme of things...$20 isn't too bad.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

Picked it up today, and yes, the power supply is dead. Plugged a cord into it and I can hear the little zap you always get when you plug a cord in, but nothing when I hit the power switch.

Actually, does anyone know what the rated wattage is for this power supply? It doesn't say on the supply what the total is.

-William
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
See that's what I'm saying. For $20 bucks you might get lucky & be able to buy a whole used Powermac G4. This past Summer I bought a Powermac G4 733mhz for $30 (with a printer & and a copy of 10.4, and extra ink). Last Friday I got a 500mhz G3 iMac for $15.

But in the grand scheme of things...$20 isn't too bad.

Good luck,

- Nick
Like I saw a Ethernet G4 at the thrift store for $12.00 several weeks ago...have too many now and passed on it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Like I saw a Ethernet G4 at the thrift store for $12.00 several weeks ago...have too many now and passed on it.
I STILL have not seen one Mac at my local thrift stores. There must be something special about your location that so many Mac's show up at the thrift store!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
MacMan886

Same here... our thrift store workers around here take the good stuff for themselves and sell it on eBay. Best thing I ever found at a thrift store around here was a Apple mouse.

-William
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

The DA is 344W with 25VSB.

G4 power supply : same or different? - MacNN Forums

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« LaCie slim dvd+rw problem | iMac included mouse SLOOOOOOWWW »