New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Color LaserWriter 12/600 Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Picked up a CLW 12/600 (Free, can't beat that) and got it running. Only real problem is that it jams from the bottom (standard) paper tray. Side sheet (manual) feed works fine.

I traced the problem down to the feeder rollers, once the paper is lifted to the feeder assembly, these rollers push it the rest of the way. Because there is more drag pushing them from the bottom tray than the side tray, they slip and trip the jam indicator.

I can spray the rubber rollers with some automotive throttle body cleaner which "melts them" so to speak, and they work for about an hour before the stuff wears off and it will jam again.

They are smooth and shiny, will rubber rejuvenator solve this problem and bring some grip back to the rollers?

They are about half inch in diameter, 3/4" long and spaced about 3 inches apart and snap right out of the assembly for easy replacement.

My neighbor suggested soaking in pure dish soap for a while, then rinsing them clean, this also worked - for a short time, although I didn't soak them for more than 10 minutes, may try longer.

Any suggestions? The thing prints excellent, and the guy gave me new toner for all colors, and a new fuser oil bottle, so it's ready to go for thousands of pages, with only a 4,744 page count when I got it Just would like to fix this little problem, although I can live with the manual feeder if I have to.

TIA,
-Ian
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

932-1360 - Feed Roller
922-1361 - Front Roller
922-1362 Rear Roller

http://www2.sunrem.com/sun02.w?cat=C...012%2F600%20PS
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
tomcrane

tomcrane is on a distinguished road

Hi IanCT,
I encountered this problem. Presumably the jam you see is with the paper edge just protruding out of the paper tray, as viewed with the infeed mechanism door open?

I tried rubber rejuvenator without success. I believe that the problem with those hard black rollers is that over time, they either shrink or are worn down and lose diameter as a result. A colleague and I made a pretty reliable fix by installing a sleeve of heat-shrink sleeving over those black rollers. The increase in diameter is enough to fix the problem.

I hope this helps.
These are nice machines and well worth repairing IMHO.
Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Tom Crane
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Nail polish remover and a cotton swab, Try to find replacement rollers like tomecrane says ,they shrink and no longer grab the paper.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External HD - which are bootable from? | Macbook Pro to Samsung LCD audio question. »