New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

external dvd burner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

clarky

clarky is on a distinguished road

Why is external burner not recognised on startup? I have to turn power off and on or unplug usb and plug in again to have it recognised. Is this normal or is there something I need to do? Had same problem with a firewire burner.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I have an external (USB) that is recognized without having to unplug. Might just be an eccentricity of your machine or drive. Tell us a little bit more about your Mac, version of OS X and make/model of external drive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
clarky

Hi, I have a G4 Dual 800mhz running osx 10.4.11. The burner is in Cypress AT2LP RC7 enclosure and is a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A. My firewire unit (Lacie enclosure) did the same thing can't think what brand the drive is
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky View Post
Hi, I have a G4 Dual 800mhz running osx 10.4.11. The burner is in Cypress AT2LP RC7 enclosure and is a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A. My firewire unit (Lacie enclosure) did the same thing can't think what brand the drive is
Gotcha. Our two machines are pretty different beasts as I'm really only familiar with the newer Intel machines. Still, I really don't think that's normal. Any chance you have a friend of an acquaintance with an external DVD that you can borrow? It would help to isolate it to the machine itself or the drive.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
clarky

Thanks for the response. No I don't know anyone with an external burner, I have 2 external hard drives connected and they are fine. I actually got this usb one to replace the firewire one hoping to fix the problem. As I have the inbuilt burner and don't often need the 2 I guess I can put up with the messing around. But like you said it doesn't seem right so maybe someone out there could have the answer.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

External optical drives are not recognized when you plug them in unless you have a disk inside. This is normal. I have several different drives and that's the way they act.

If you plug the drive in and then put in a disk, it (the disk) should be displayed on your desktop. The same will occur when burning to a blank disk. When you put the blank in the drive, it should be recognized by the software.

BTW, Windows does not act the same way. External drives, even when empty, will show up when plugged in.
QUOTE Thanks
clarky

Hi chscag, Thanks for that will put a disc in before I boot next time, though unless you misunderstood, it is recognised without a disc in if I unplug and plug once computer is on.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Optical drive question | Zebra LP2844 Printer Configuration »