New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

A friendly reminder to backup...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hey everyone!

A while ago, I implemented a backup routine using an external USB 2.0 harddrive...
As time went on, my backups became less frequent and with my ever expanding music library space constraints and library managment kind of put a stop to them.

2 days ago my iBook's harddrive started making strange noises and next thing you know it won't boot up anymore.

I took it to the technicians at the place I work (mac retailer) and they hooked me up with a new 80GB internal hdd.
They tried to get some of the data off the old drive, but without specialized tools nothing could be retreived.

I've spent the day reclaiming my data off my .mac iDisk, my old backup files and my iPod and it's been quite tedious....
Starting today I'm just going to clone my entire drive and be done with it.

This iBook is 1yr and 2 months old - so hardly susceptible to aging-related hardware failure.
Remember - it could happen anytime at all and a lot of data is not just useful, it's personal too. (Think photos, files, letters, emails etc...)

So back up ppl!
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

This is probably a silly question... But how would you go about backing up a whole system onto a DVD or such? usually I back up my music and some important files and my photography work. But is it necessary to back up a whole system or just those important files? Some people say to back up the whole system, but I don't really see a need to back it up except those import files I mentioned. I also keep a list of programs Ive down loaded so if that dreadful time comes, I'll remember what I had.

Sorry, was just wondering.

TJ
QUOTE Thanks
aeiou

aeiou is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac core2Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram

Yeah, its pretty much useless to back up the entire system. Just back up the important files and reinstall everything else.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well if you can afford the space, I'd personally go for a full system backup.
That way you'll be up and running again in no time without hassle.

Even now I'm still noticing things missing...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I personally make a bootable backup of my entire system on an external FireWire drive. It makes restores very easy, but it also means I technically have another exact copy of my system so if I ever needed to get my iMac repaired I could use my iBook and boot off my FireWire drive and it's like working on my iMac again.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

That reinforces my need to get an external drive. It is a pain in the butt if you don't back up your stuff. My friend's external hard drive stopped working and he's peeved b/c he's lost basically 120 gigs of data. His problem was the fact he took his external hard drive with him everywhere. It's important to have a safe backup at home.
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

ok, this maybe a stupid question but would i be able to store/burn all my music in mp3 format onto a dvd for storage? that is pretty much the only thing i would be worried about losing on my ibook.

if so, is it as simple as throwing a blank dvd in there and burning a data cd?

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Basically yes.

In iTunes you can just create a playlist with all your music, set the burning options to data cd/dvd and hit burn.
QUOTE Thanks
TTheInfamous1

TTheInfamous1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Geek
That reinforces my need to get an external drive. It is a pain in the butt if you don't back up your stuff. My friend's external hard drive stopped working and he's peeved b/c he's lost basically 120 gigs of data. His problem was the fact he took his external hard drive with him everywhere. It's important to have a safe backup at home.
I guess thats where having a DVD or some type of removable disk back up would be very useful. So having a back-up stored in a safe place and not just on an external drive is the best back-up to have. You never know when that external back-up may fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Basically yes.

In iTunes you can just create a playlist with all your music, set the burning options to data cd/dvd and hit burn.
What about using that .xml list from iTunes?

TJ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Isight use with PC webcams | Speakers that boom »