New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Backup External Drive Online

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

abstractmotor

abstractmotor is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook with 160GB hard drive and a Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive that I use for extra storage and backup. I have all of my photos and video/multimedia work stored on this external drive. If my external were to crash one day, I would be devastated.

So I've been looking into backing up the files from my external drive online with a service such as Mozy, Carbonite, CrashPlan, etc. I use the free versions of both Mozy and Dropbox to backup files I'm working on in case my computer crashes and have tested Mozy out with my external drive and have found some problems (Dropbox gets too expensive for lots of storage). First, I know that there is the risk that if I disconnect my external for more than 30days, those backup files will be deleted. Secondly, if I tell Mozy to backup files from my external, my laptop will see that Mozy is using my external, say that it is still in use, and not let me eject the disk. My external is portable for a reason, and this just won't work. This seems to be such a pain for something that seems simple.

I would really like to be able to upload files from both my laptop and my external hard drive to online storage easily and for an unlimited flat rate. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I haven't followed this area much so I can't be much help there. I doubt the MobileMe iDisk feature would be cost effective either.

I am curious though about the services that you have tried. Were you able to fully restore files from the backup? I thought I read somewhere that initially one of these services did not handle the resource forks in Mac files properly.

BTW I know it is not exactly the same thing but have you considered getting a second drive, creating a second backup, and storing it off site somewhere. Bit of a pain but might be cheaper in the long run.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
abstractmotor

abstractmotor is on a distinguished road

I've tried restoring files from Mozy and it works, the site is not exactly user friendly and it's slow. But it works. Haven't tried it with other services.

I've thought about getting a second drive and that would work. It would just be a hassle like you said. It'd be nice to just get it all online and have no worries.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't have a good suggestion for backing up your video work other than what you're currently doing, however, you can archive your photos to DVDs for safe keeping. That's what I do. I know most of us have family photos of weddings, kids, and so forth and would be devastated if we lost them.

I've even considered buying a blue ray burner and media for just that purpose. But they're still a bit pricey.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Blast from the past - G4 and Formac monitor | Recommend me a new mouse! »