New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Android phones with macs... (HTC)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

You sure? The only things it seems like I can edit that easily is the 'incoming mail server' from pop.gmail to imap.gmail. But that doesn't seem to actually change it from pop to imap...
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

For syncing your apps, in case you ever lose them or your SD card becomes corrupted, download "AppBrain". It does more than just sync of course, so please do a bit of research on its other features. I like it a lot.

On the e Mail front, I also wanted to add something about Yahoo Mail. You can forward Yahoo mail to your Gmail account without paying for Yahoo Pro. Quite simply, go into your Yahoo Mail account, and change your location to: "Yahoo! China"

Yes, for some reason, we have to pay for forwarding here in the States but Asia gets it for free. Then when that's set, just go into the forward/IMAP settings and select forward to. Now you'll get all your mail there.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonik View Post
You sure? The only things it seems like I can edit that easily is the 'incoming mail server' from pop.gmail to imap.gmail. But that doesn't seem to actually change it from pop to imap...
No, you have to change it on the Gmail webpage.

Sign into Gmail, go to Settings (upper-right corner), go to "Forwarding and POP/IMAP", then go to IMAP Access and choose "enable IMAP".

Once that's done, you'll need to point your clients to imap.gmail.com instead of pop.gmail.com for the incoming mail server address. And also set it to use IMAP instead of POP for the protocol.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Hmmm... well I'm using Mac Mail, but something doesn't seem to be lining up!

Gmail settings already were imap enabled. The picture below shows my settings after pop. was changed to imap. Where do I go to change the whole protocol? Doesn't seem like I can...

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Looks good to me. What exactly is the problem you're experiencing at this point?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

It's still a pop account... ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
Jose Jimenez

Jose Jimenez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

Hi and I hope its OK to bump this thread (rather than starting a new one) as I'm going to get an Android phone (Desire) and there is some useful tips and advice here.

Jonik, did you manage to sort out your issue on gmail? Also do you have any other useful tips or downsides you can share from your own experience? The phone comes with Android 2.2 which im assuming is fine to get going with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wired or wireless? | HP PSC 750 draft print problem ? »