New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

ssd OSX TRIM possible solution

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

craigmackem

craigmackem is on a distinguished road

Just put a new intel ssd into my macbook. seems common knowledge that OSX does not support TRIM. Point out that i am a total newbie to this therefore render myself clueless. but i may have found a solution to this TRIM problem that slows SSD drives down. im sure that all u experts will shoot me down in flames but here goes. I set a 50 gig partition on my ssd and realised that it was filling up when i am not installing stuff...this must be the write thing that never gets cleaned under OSX due to lack of TRIM. monitored it using daisydisk and disk utility. daisy disk reported 16 gig free and disk utility recorded 24 gig free. selected my SSD 50 gig partition in disk utility and selected erase. selected erase free space. then zero out. ran it took 5 mins to do and daisydisk reported 26 gig free and disk utility also reported 26 gig free. one program reported 10 gig free space gain and the the other reported a 2 gig gain. using the xdisk benchmark utility all the write speeds seemed to improve by a little bit...and the read speeds stayed the same. this drive has only been in my macbook 1 day. maybe its a solution maybe its not. but both programs i ran said an increase in free space. any ideas ppl..... my only thoughts are that this is such a simple thing to do sum1 must have discovered this by now....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have a read of this through all seven pages Craig:-

Mac SSD performance and TRIM in OSX | bit-tech.net

May not be necessary provided your SSD came with Sandforce Controllers.
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

i will read this in depth...all of it and all links...thanx...i read solid for a week before buyin it....its the intel x-25m. think its not a sandforce one..but its got summit on it that intel put on...controller or sumthing....but its as simple as this...if you click on it...apps...utils...games...etc...it happens.....it seems like read write speeds across different drives are faster especially in the write mode...well if i click install or open or anything...it just happens immediately...so if it was quicker u wouldn even notice....seems much better since i done this....time will tell.......how long does the slowdown take to happen plz.....is it like a daily or weekly thing.......???
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree with chas_m with regard to future support for TRIM and price reduction. I've been tempted many times to buy a SSD but for the reasons mentioned, I'll hold off until next year whenever Lion is released. Maybe SSD prices will drop off somewhat by then...
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

aye well english grammar was not me strong point..although they give me an o level... maybe it was out of sympathy..lmao...i been running this for few days now...not noticing any slowdown at all...its the same. u click it happens...although half life 2 ep2 is not instant...but so much quicker than b4. i have took benchmarks tonite and they do not differ from when i installed it till today...this apparent TRIM problem is invisible at the minute....
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

ok ppl....an update.....been using this for a while now and using xbench to test the speed....there is nil loss at all in fact its quicker the more i use it......please note my macbook never gets turned off....just close the lid....for ppl who wanna buy an SSD dont let the TRIM thing put u off cos this does not appear to be relevant...intel X25.....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Apart from grammar a typing program may also help.

Sure is hard work trying to interpret your posts Craig.
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

sorry...from now on i will type in full queens english....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help me with a joystick issue | Need a good Wall Mount suggestion »