New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Magic Mouse Batteries

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

I am getting a message that the Mouse Batteries are low but its still at 14%

At what point should I change them and is it ok to use until it reaches 0%

May sound like a silly question but not sure if running it right down will do any damage. They are the batteries that came with it and not rechargeable ones.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

The Magic Mouse will simply stop working when it runs out of juice.

Just make sure you have got some charged up rechargeable batteries ready when it does

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Um, if they're not rechargeable then why wouldn't you run them down until they're dead? It's not going to have an effect on the mouse its self, and when they are dead, you throw them away. The question is, why aren't you using rechargeable batteries in this day and age? They save you tons of money and are much better for the environment (if you care).

Get yourself an 4 pack of Sanyo Eneloops and a decent charger (NOT the one which they sometimes sell with the Eneloops OR the one from Apple those are quick chargers which lessen the life span of batteries by charging too fast causing excessive heat) from Amazon.com. The Eneloops are the same batteries which Apple uses now (they're re-branded by Apple) and last a long time per charge and in terms of their life span.

There's no memory effect with them either, so you can charge them when ever you want. Though every once in a while it's good to cycle them. And a good charger will do that for you. Look at this article:

The Best Rechargeable Batteries and Chargers Of 2010 >> MetaEfficient Reviews

I happen to own that first charger you see, the LaCrosse. Love it. It actually also comes with 8 batteries. 4AA and 4AAA They're alright, but not nearly as good as the Eneloops. $40 at Amazon. And no, I don't work for either company. Wish I did !

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Thanks guys I just wasnt sure if letting it run down to 0% would cause any problems.

I am used to warning messages on computers usually meaning things (Windows overhang I know) and as I kept getting messages thought I better check.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Mine started getting the warning at 18% last night. Like others have said, run it till it stops responding.

It will hurt nothing except you if you are in the middle of something when it does die!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And as a suggestion use Energizer Lithium. Re-chargable batteries just do not last alas.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
And as a suggestion use Energizer Lithium. Re-chargable batteries just do not last alas.
Dude, the rechargeable's that came with my charger (LaCrosse) have been at it for over two years now and last a pretty long time on a charge. My Eneloops are also over two years old and have been used to power an Canon bridge camera, as well as mice and my Apple bluetooth keyboard. They're still as good as the day I bought them!

I also just bought a fresh set of Eneloops because I now own the Magic Trackpad. Not sure of where you got that info, but it's false, sir. You might have had a bad experience, but it's also likely that you bought shoddy batteries.

So, you can waste money on pack after pack of batteries for two years+, and I'll just keep charging and saving money. It's your choice, but IMO not a very good one.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with wireless keyboards | VGA extension problem »