New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

How can i recover something from the trash on my external HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oxband

oxband is on a distinguished road

I deleted something in my external HD that I want to recover. i haven't emptied the trash on my mac so it hasn't been deleted yet. However, unlike my Mac, I can't seem to find the trash on my external. How can I view trash on it?
QUOTE Thanks
s2odin

s2odin is a jewel in the roughs2odin is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxband View Post
I deleted something in my external HD that I want to recover. i haven't emptied the trash on my mac so it hasn't been deleted yet. However, unlike my Mac, I can't seem to find the trash on my external. How can I view trash on it?
When you delete something from your external HD it goes onto the trash on your internal HD. So just go into the trash on your mac and recover it.

USAF E-2. 1C6X1 - Space Systems Operations. 19 days until BMT.
Upgrade your MBP HD
Tritton AXPro FS
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2odin View Post
When you delete something from your external HD it goes onto the trash on your internal HD. So just go into the trash on your mac and recover it.
That's not really true. The external will have a hidden .Trash folder on it. That's why the external hard drive must be attached and mounted first before you can recover items from its Trash.

OS X will create a hidden Trash folder and other hidden files on any drive that is mounted, be it a hard drive or flash drive.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As chscag says just boot from the external, assuming of course you have an operating system on it. Then find trash and remove article/s.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It's there - try /Volumes/<name of external>/.Trash. Open up a Finder window, push Shift-Command-G and enter the directory of your external (while it's plugged in of course). So, if your external was called "myextdrive", you would enter /Volumes/myextdrive/.Trash

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cenasteve

cenasteve is on a distinguished road

Hello there,
I am screwed when i lost my files from trash , And there are many more time i lose it from, my volumes but i managed some how but this time when i lost my files from trash i am screwed as those files were my presentation files of school and i need those files back at any cost. Can anybody say how to recover mac trash . i downloaded the trial version of the software but couldn't do much so please suggest.

Regards
Steve
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you could not find the files when the external drive was connected that is a bit odd. Have you added any new files to the drive since deleting the files you need? You might give Data Rescue 3 a try. It is not cheap but there is a demo that you could try before buying the software.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Gloria Archilla

Gloria Archilla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
It's there - try /Volumes/<name of external>/.Trash. Open up a Finder window, push Shift-Command-G and enter the directory of your external (while it's plugged in of course). So, if your external was called "myextdrive", you would enter /Volumes/myextdrive/.Trash
I followed the above instructions, but I get a message saying that I don't have permission to view the Trash folder. I am the Administrator.

I would appreciate help so I can delete about 50 giga in that file. I just want to make sure I want to delete it.

Thank you!

Gloria
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As long as you have full permissions over the drive, you should be fine. Do you have any problems accessing any other content on the drive?

What are you trying to delete? Manually viewing the trash folder is rarely needed.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gloria Archilla

Gloria Archilla is on a distinguished road

Where do I see, if I have Full Permission? No, I have no problem accessing anything else.

I am trying to at least view what is in that Trash folder. I purchased Clean My Mac2 and it shows the Trash folder with about 50 gigs of photos. Since it's the first time I use it, I want to make sure I am not deleting anything I don't want to delete.

Thanks so much for your help!

Gloria
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« “Local only” connection for Vista-based HP laptop with Airport Express | Hard drive question! Macbook pro/mac pro »