New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

FAT SD card "cannot be modified"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

awinterbreeze77

awinterbreeze77 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2 gig SD card that will work on one computer, but no others. On my iMac, everything is fine and dandy, but I have Read-Only privileges on my other OS X and Windows machines.

I need to use it across platforms, so I reformatted it to FAT (MS-DOS) file system. Unfortunately, this didn't solve anything :/

I repaired the disk, but that didn't change anything either. I would like to try repairing the disk permissions, but that option is grayed out.

Honestly, I have experienced this problem over and over again with every flash drive I've had and used with my macs, and the only thing that ever works is to reformat them to Mac OS Extended Journaling system, and unfortunately, that format is simply not recognized by Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc., etc.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The "Magic Key" to formatting SD or flash media to FAT is not to use Disk Utility to do the job. Disk Utility defaults to the "GUID" scheme when formatting to MS DOS format. That creates a 200 MB EFI partition on the drive which makes it useless for using it with a PC.

There is a way to use Disk Utility and format the drive correctly - it requires setting the "Options" tab to "MBR" versus the default "GUID". Or, use Disk Manager from Windows to do the formatting.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Samsung external DVD drive won't burn DVD+RW | EyeTV DTT Mac »