New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Backing up/mirroring external hard drives

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fenrisnz

fenrisnz is on a distinguished road

Hi All,
Hopefully somebody out there can offer some useful input on this question.
I am running a Macbook Pro with several external hard drives (Lacie D2s in various sizes) on which I archive and back up my image library.
I am using Time Machine to back up my laptop's hard drive but I would like to be able to back-up/sync/mirror my image library on one external hard drive to another external hard drive. Is there an application anyone can recommend to do this (as opposed to copying files/folders manually). Is Time Machine capable of doing this?
To be more specific, I am running two 1TB external hard drives as my image library main drive and image library back up. I would like to set up s system to sync or mirror or backup the main image library hard drive to the back up drive so the two are kept in constant (or nearly constant sync). I hope this makes sense! Any useful input would be welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I'd recommend SuperDuper!.

The free version only does complete backups. The paid version will do incremental backups.

You'll have to sync manually if you want the sync more than once per day.

To do what you're asking with a continuous sync, you need an external RAID device which will write all data simultaneously to both drives.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

If you're looking for a really good option you may want to check out Synology disk stations. They are NAS setups where you can run them in RAID like bobtomay was talking about. I have a ds110j single bay but they make ones that can hold 4 drives which means you can take your 2 existing drives and set them up with RAID on 2 others. They have excellent equiment, software, and support.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adjusting track pad sensitivity | Sony knows about MAC Connectivity Issue!!! »