Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2009
    Posts
    76
    Specs:
    1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
    HP Laserjet not printing on new 10.4.1 installation
    I just made an upgrade to my dual 1.25ghz G4 MDD desktop. I installed an additional, internal drive containing 10.4.11 and a latest version of OS 9. My original drive is still in place, including all software and documents. I used migration assistant to move everything over.

    I will erase the original drive at some point and use it as a backup destination. I don't want to do that until I have everything resolved.

    My big issue remaining is I can't print from my HP Laserjet 1320. It recognizes the printer, starts the job, and then stops the job. The printer will successfully run a test page.

    I have searched for hours and have followed numerous instructions on procedures to try. This includes deleting and re-installing the printer, re-installing the HP driver, and deleting preferences, checking permissions, running disk utility, and also running a piece of software called Fixamac. I also tried a new USB cable.

    It told me: The file /private/etc/cups/classes.conf is missing. This file is deleted when using the Reset Printing System option. I am not sure what to do about that. Is it possible to acquire this item again?

    I am unemployed and trying to save money, and have been able to make a little money using this computer, but I have to be able to print.

    If I buy another printer, will it not work either, for the reason this one does not work? Do I need to buy 10.5 and install that? Would that fix this? Regarding the printer, is there any known problem with the HP 1320?

    I need some ideas, please.

    Thank you.

  2. #2

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,238
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Sounds like a driver problem. Try the Linux Open Printing driver set found here: LINK

    Your LJ 1320 is supported by these drivers. Note that they're for OS X only not Classic. Anyway, be sure to read instructions as there are several files which need to be downloaded and installed. The drivers are free and in my experience work very well for the HP LJ series.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2009
    Posts
    76
    Specs:
    1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Sounds like a driver problem. Try the Linux Open Printing driver set found here: LINK

    Your LJ 1320 is supported by these drivers. Note that they're for OS X only not Classic. Anyway, be sure to read instructions as there are several files which need to be downloaded and installed. The drivers are free and in my experience work very well for the HP LJ series.
    I have downloaded the files and am studying the instructions, given your emphasis. It makes me nervous. :-)

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2009
    Posts
    76
    Specs:
    1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Sounds like a driver problem. Try the Linux Open Printing driver set found here: LINK

    Your LJ 1320 is supported by these drivers. Note that they're for OS X only not Classic. Anyway, be sure to read instructions as there are several files which need to be downloaded and installed. The drivers are free and in my experience work very well for the HP LJ series.

    I regret to say that did not fix it. What does that suggest to you?

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2009
    Posts
    76
    Specs:
    1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
    I have also found the original install disc that accompanied the HP printer, using it to install the printer again. It makes no difference.

  6. #6

    Mac SK's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 21, 2006
    Posts
    1,517
    Does the 1350 have a network connection..have you tried to connect over a in house network.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2009
    Posts
    76
    Specs:
    1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
    Does the 1350 have a network connection..have you tried to connect over a in house network.
    No, I connect it via USB cable.

  8. #8

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Keller, Texas
    Posts
    50,238
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
    I regret to say that did not fix it. What does that suggest to you?
    Do you have the printer setup to operate in Tiger? Remember, those drivers will not work in Classic....

    If you installed the drivers correctly in Tiger and the printer is still giving you problems (stalling) there's not much else I can suggest that will work. I have used those same drivers for my LJ 1012 and they work great so I don't really know what else to tell you.

    If it won't work in Tiger, it's not going to work in Leopard either.

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2009
    Posts
    76
    Specs:
    1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Do you have the printer setup to operate in Tiger? Remember, those drivers will not work in Classic....

    If you installed the drivers correctly in Tiger and the printer is still giving you problems (stalling) there's not much else I can suggest that will work. I have used those same drivers for my LJ 1012 and they work great so I don't really know what else to tell you.

    If it won't work in Tiger, it's not going to work in Leopard either.
    Yes, I have it set up to run in Tiger. I rarely use 9, but need it for some archival documents.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HP Colour Laserjet 1515N Printing paused
    By Rottie in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 01:38 AM
  2. Printing to HP LaserJet 2430 dtn Windows Network
    By Christy in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM
  3. HP Laserjet on iMac, Leopard OS, problem printing
    By yautt in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 12:53 PM
  4. Very S L O W printing with HP Laserjet 1200
    By buster99 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 03:19 AM
  5. help...printing to laserjet 6p
    By meanopause in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •