New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Partitioning USB drive with one partition still leaves an extra 2GB free. Please Help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

deejay390

deejay390 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have an 8GB usb flash drive but when i format it using one partition the partition is only 7.67GB. It says i still have 2.27GB left and the total capacity of my drive is 8.02GB. I have partitioned the drive over and over again and each time i get the same result. How can i get my partition to take a the full capacity of my drive.

(See attached picture for details.)

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-10-25 at 18.16.30.png (158.3 KB, 6 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try formatting in a different format, i.e FAT and see if it gives the same result, if it formats it correctly then format with Mac OS extended again, should clear the problem

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
deejay390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Try formatting in a different format, i.e FAT and see if it gives the same result, if it formats it correctly then format with Mac OS extended again, should clear the problem

- Simon
I'ved already formatted in FAT and the result is still the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Sound like the memory module has become damaged, the system sees how big it should be but is only formatting what it can access and blocking the rest off hence only seeing a smaller protion available

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
deejay390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard2010 View Post
Sound like the memory module has become damaged, the system sees how big it should be but is only formatting what it can access and blocking the rest off hence only seeing a smaller protion available

- Simon
Any idea how it can be fixed?

Thanks for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

What I don't understand is why you formatted it to begin with? The drive was pre-formatted from the factory as FAT or FAT-32. Re-formatting flash drives usually spells trouble. Search the forums for the fix. Basically, you have to remove the partitions (clean the drive) first.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

To be honest if its a memory stick / dongle, its not worth trying to unless there is something of real importance on there it'll cost the same if not more than to just buy a new one!

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
ukchucktown

ukchucktown has a spectacular aura about

I bet you are using Disk Utility. My advice is ditch Disk Utility and use GParted instead.

GParted -- Welcome
QUOTE Thanks
deejay390

So pretty much we're saying theres no way to fix the issue. What i also don't understand is why should reformatting mean that i should loose some space on my drive as reformatting should delete everything anyway. Is there anything i can do to avoid this?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Because reformatting a flash drive is almost never necessary. And as I stated above, reformatting usually causes problems - especially when using Disk Utility.

See the following LINK for a remedy. After cleaning the drive with the procedure I linked you to, you'll need to create a partition on the drive and then format it. Do not use Disk Utility, use Disk Manager from Windows instead.
QUOTE Thanks
deejay390

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Because reformatting a flash drive is almost never necessary. And as I stated above, reformatting usually causes problems - especially when using Disk Utility.

See the following LINK for a remedy. After cleaning the drive with the procedure I linked you to, you'll need to create a partition on the drive and then format it. Do not use Disk Utility, use Disk Manager from Windows instead.
That didn't work earthier. After cleaning the disk in windows it still says it's only 7.46GB, this is even before i've partitioned it, this is just unallocated space. When i partition that is obviously the only space i get.

So i take it there is not much more i can do. But for future reference what program would you recommend for partitioning disks so i can try and avoid this problem again.

Thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay390 View Post
But for future reference what program would you recommend for partitioning disks so i can try and avoid this problem again.
If by "disks" you mean USB flash drives, chscag already gave you the answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Do not use Disk Utility, use Disk Manager from Windows instead.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Is this a U3 drive by chance? What brand is it? What version of OSX is on your Mac? If it's not 10.6 an 8GB drive will never show up as 8GB but 7 and some change.

A U3 drive (Sandisk for one) has U3 partition that no disk utility will ever remove. You have to get a tool from Sandisk to remove it and get the full size of the drive.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I forgot to mention the U3 part, so thanks to dtravis7 for that. He's right, if it's a U3 type, there is no way that Disk Manager can remove it.

Also, another thing we may be forgetting is that an 8 GB flash drive in reality (real measurement) only has around 7.5 GB of usable space.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

This is why I was asking if he was running 10.6 or 10.5 or before. 10.6 reports drive size in Base-10 and older OS's including Windows use Base-2.

So in 10.6 it should show around 8GB.

Here is my 16GB Sandisk that I removed the U3 partition on using the San Disk utility. In 10.6 it shows up at 16.01 GB but in 10.5 shows 14.91 GB.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-10-26 at 11.49.54 AM.png (58.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 1.jpg (54.3 KB, 2 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow printing | Using time machine as shared hard drive via ethernet »