New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Formatting SD Cards

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AndyClift

AndyClift is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4

I spent all yesterday trying to get my Garmin satnav to read music on an 8 GByte SD card. 1 GByte cards were recognised but the 8 GByte card was ignored.

Both cards were formatted as FAT and both were readable on the iMAC when installed in the satnav and then the satnav plugged into the computer. Music copied to both cards OK and the music could be played back on the iMAC - but the satnav itself could not see anything on the 8 GByte card.

Garmin help was beaten but found the problem last night. Use Disc Utility to format the 1 GByte card and it shows as a FAT device with a FAT partition. Use the same method on the 8 GByte card and it shows as a Mac OS Extended device with a FAT partition - although I select the device and choose FAT.

To overcome the problem I put the 8 GByte card in my Digital camera, formatted it and then put it in the iMAC to copy the music. Everything worked OK.

Now to the obvious question. How do I make a proper FAT formatted card in the iMAC?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Now to the obvious question. How do I make a proper FAT formatted card in the iMAC?
When you format the SD card or any other hard drive to FAT-32 using Disk Utility, always be careful to select the MBR option. Do not let Disk Utility format using the GUID scheme as that will place a small 200 MB EFI partition on the card or drive rendering it useless with some devices.
QUOTE Thanks
AndyClift

Thanks for the answer but how. I can't see a way of changing the method in disk utility.

If I mount a card which was PC formatted it shows as MBR but as soon as I format on the iMac it changes it to GUID and there seems no way to change it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Which version of OSX? If it's 10.5 or 10.6 in the Partition menu there is an Option button. There you change it to MBR. Select 1 partition and MS DOS format. That is FAT32. Ignore the file sizes. I just did this to show you were the option button is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (54.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (89.6 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
AndyClift

Thanks, Found it now. I had been using the erase tab to reformat. Your help is much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't Add my Canon MP550!! Snow Leopard! | MacBook Pro HDD Format issue... help! »