New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Keeping the external HD on standby?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bryoman

bryoman is on a distinguished road

I have a WD MyBook (in Raid 1 configuration) from my MacBookPro.
After a period of inactivity, it clicks off into a standby mode: just as I expect and want it to do.
However, after every couple of minutes in standby, and with no request from me, it fires up again.... and then down...... etc.
I am unclear if it is just the MBP needing to check that the HD is still there, and demanding a response from it, or the HD itself going through some routine.
Or some application doing the 'prodding'?
All this unnecessary up-ing and down-ing must be shortening the HD's life, mustn't it??
How do I get it to stay asleep until I actually want to access it??
Many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
IceB

IceB is on a distinguished road

It is happening with my new iMac too.
I put it to sleep, it wakes ups from nothing after a couple hours, them sleeps again. Would like to know the reason for this insomnia. I also have 2 external drives in this machine.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Most mac computers do a routine and constant systems check, i.e battery health (which you can see by holding alt and click the battery status), it's good in a way for your computer but if I were you i'd keep your HDD unplugged until you need it. As for IceB i'd get your iMac checked over

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will video games work on my netbook? | iStore trouble with payment details »