New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Cinema Display - Weirdness

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WhiteSpider

WhiteSpider is on a distinguished road

Hey gang,

New to the forum, need some help. I have some weird stuff going on with my Cinema Displays. Attached is an image of what I'm seeing, if anyone knows what this is, if it can be fixed, or if it's going to get worse, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_4802.jpg (97.3 KB, 19 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Is the picture you submitted a screenshot? If it is, it may indicate a problem with your graphics adapter not the display. If you swap displays, does the same thing happen?
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Is the picture you submitted a screenshot? If it is, it may indicate a problem with your graphics adapter not the display. If you swap displays, does the same thing happen?
It's a photograph I took, not a screen shot. When I talked to Apple, though they couldn't help me too much because it's not under warranty, he did suggest I try hooking it up to another computer to see if it's the video card. I connected the problem display to my MacBook Pro and it had the same issue. Kind of the reverse of what you suggested. So I believe it's definitely the screen going bad.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Yes, I agree with you. If the display looked the same on another machine, that pretty much narrows it down to the display itself. There really isn't anything you can do to correct it. Seems a shame that an expensive display like that would develop problems. You might want to call Apple again and express your displeasure (politely of course). Perhaps you may run into a sympathetic support person who might be willing to help.
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteSpider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Yes, I agree with you. If the display looked the same on another machine, that pretty much narrows it down to the display itself. There really isn't anything you can do to correct it. Seems a shame that an expensive display like that would develop problems. You might want to call Apple again and express your displeasure (politely of course). Perhaps you may run into a sympathetic support person who might be willing to help.
Yeah, it sure is a shame, you spend $1,400 on a set of monitors (which I've been extremely pleased with up to this point) and they start doing this after only 3 years. I will definitely call them back and see if I can get someone to help me out. Can't hurt. Just sad though, I have an older Cinema Display (see through acrylic frame with kickstand) that I bought back in 2002 I think, and that thing still looks beautiful! Go figure.
QUOTE Thanks
blckmorning

blckmorning is on a distinguished road

I can't say for sure, but it almost looks like a back bleed issue. The Dell 20" LCD's share the same Screen type, and they have been known for the issue. See here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell2005_backlight_fix.htm
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problems setting up my 3g Dongle on my Macbook | External optical drive »