New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

LaCie problems...again!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dstopsky

dstopsky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000

I'm having problems mounting my 250GB LaCie drive on my mini. Over the last month and a half it's gotten progressively worse. At first it mounted fine, then it wouldn't mont sometimes and now it won't at all. I tried using Disk Utility but the drive is no longer showing up in the side panel when I turn it on. I don't understand what's wrong because it works fine with my HP laptop. I just hope it's not a dud because I'd rather not deal with the hassle of returning and exchanging if possible. Any suggestions or remedies would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Have you tried using a different cable to connect to your system?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

Is there anything else you can try hooking up to your firewire port? If the drive is working on other computers then perhaps your port is bad or failing.
QUOTE Thanks
dstopsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
Have you tried using a different cable to connect to your system?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdiel
Is there anything else you can try hooking up to your firewire port? If the drive is working on other computers then perhaps your port is bad or failing.
I guess you mean USB port, but yes I've tried several.

I believe that it may actually be the port on the backside of the drive. The USB cable moves around quite a bit and it seems that at some times when I give it a wiggle the drive will mount. I'm going to bring it in and try to exchange for a new one. Hopefully I won't see this problem again with a new unit.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
dstopsky

Just got back from returning the drive. I wish I could've gotten it working properly because I unfortunately wasn't able to obtain about 10 GB of data.

On the positive side, the salesman convinced me to upgrade to the D2 Triple Interface model instead and knocked off 10 from the price. I only hope this drive is as sturdy as the casing is (it only weighs about 100 lbs).
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstopsky
Just got back from returning the drive. I wish I could've gotten it working properly because I unfortunately wasn't able to obtain about 10 GB of data.

On the positive side, the salesman convinced me to upgrade to the D2 Triple Interface model instead and knocked off 10 from the price. I only hope this drive is as sturdy as the casing is (it only weighs about 100 lbs).
Did the Tripple come with a Firewire cable? If so I would suggest using the firewire port on the mini instead of USB2.
QUOTE Thanks
dstopsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
Did the Tripple come with a Firewire cable? If so I would suggest using the firewire port on the mini instead of USB2.
Yeah, it came with 4 different cables (USB, 2 Firewire 400 and Firewire 800). And yes, I'm using the Firewire and am already noticing how much faster it is over the USB 2.0 drive.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Having trouble using a 60 gb disk in my g4 | Just got an isight »