Question My brand new imac won't recognise ANY printer I seem to try and link it to?
    I have recently bought an new imac and it won't work with either my canon MX310 or my HP a710 photo printer. When I plug it in the imac doesnt recognise anything. I have tried clinking on the bottom left add sign but it can't find a thing with the USB lead plugged in. All software for both computers is installed.
    I have a macbook and it works fine with both printers. What is wrong with my imac?
    Any suggestions?

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Make sure the printer(s) are turned on and attached via a USB cable. Then, open System Preferences, Print & Fax to see if they're recognized. If they work with your MacBook, they should work with the new iMac.

Your new iMac has Snow Leopard installed. Snow Leopard software updates will automatically download any updated drivers and software for the Canon and HP.

Yes the printers are 100% turned on and connected at both ends of the USB. I rang up apple care and they diagnosed it as a fault with USB at the back of the imac, so I now have a new one and the same thing happens!! So it can't be a fault unless all imacs have this problem, like I say it works on my macbook which is only just 2 years old. Any other ideas?

2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Depending on your router/network setup, you may have to configure your network settings to allow the printer to be seen/shared. How do you manage your home network? i.e. What software?
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Thread Information