New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Do you power down your Bluetooth keyboard or magic mouse?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Generik777

Generik777 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 13" Macbook Pro

For those that have the bluetooth keyboard or magic mouse. Do you turn off the power over night? Or do you just let them fall asleep on their own. I just got both of them and am wondering how much the battery life will drop if I just leave them on all the time and let them fall asleep on their own. I will obviously power them off when they will not be in use for several days though
QUOTE Thanks
canobeano

canobeano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 Mac Mini

I'm using the wireless keyboard and magic trackpad. I have the mac mini set to fall asleep every night and wake up before I do. So far, I've been letting the keyboard and trackpad fall asleep on their own (no manual shutting down). They're fine for now, but I don't know whether this is the right thing to do, either.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Never power them down.

Keyboard batteries, using Energizer or Duracell Lithium and NOT re-chargable, lasts about nine months, mouse about three months on average.
QUOTE Thanks
janusoo

janusoo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos

So, harryb2448,

Are you saying "One should not power down one's mouse and keybord," or are you saying "I never power down my mouse and keyboard?"

And it it's the first one, why not?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

It is up to you to do as you wish. There is an auto 'power down' built in to conserve power and turning off does sometimes interfere with pairing. Look down this link to Editor's Choice comments:-

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Keyboards - CNET Archive
QUOTE Thanks
spiritdave

spiritdave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Never power them down.

Keyboard batteries, using Energizer or Duracell Lithium and NOT re-chargable, lasts about nine months, mouse about three months on average.
My Magic Mouse runs down batteries in about a week. I must admit, I use my Mac for work so it's being used maybe 16 hours a day every day. This unusual? I just bought a pack of Duracell recharge batteries so I am not too bothered but I did think it ran down a little fast.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Can't help with Magic Mouse ~ mine is due to arrive tomorrow depending on Australia Post's delays due to holidays. Problem with rechargeable batteries is they seem to develop a memory and charge less and less. Wth the Magic Mouse using AAA batteries compared to Mighty Mouse AA, may well run down quicker.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
spiritdave

spiritdave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Can't help with Magic Mouse ~ mine is due to arrive tomorrow depending on Australia Post's delays due to holidays. Problem with rechargeable batteries is they seem to develop a memory and charge less and less. Wth the Magic Mouse using AAA batteries compared to Mighty Mouse AA, may well run down quicker.
The Magic Mouse uses AA ... not AAA. I know this because to clarify that, I opened the back up just now to check And sat next to me is the box they came out of ...

Duracell Plus - AA LR6/STILO MIGNON MN1500

Definitely AA
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Caps lock stopped working on new keyboard | change mail address »