New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

SCSI on a Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PVillian

PVillian is on a distinguished road

I'm want to try to use an older scanner ( Umax Powerlook III ) to scan large format sheet film but uses the SCSI cables. I can use Vuescan for the software but need a way to connect the SCSI to my Mac Pro (2 yrs old). Do I need a controller card? Cost is an issue...if it wasnt I would just but a newer scanner with modern connections. There are only a few scanners that can scan film negs that large.

Joe B
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

You will need a SCSI adapter card for your Mac Pro in order to use that scanner. I'm not sure where you can find one but suggest shopping around on the net doing a Google search or perhaps on eBay.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You will need a SCSI adapter card for your Mac Pro in order to use that scanner. I'm not sure where you can find one but suggest shopping around on the net doing a Google search or perhaps on eBay.
I found this to be a very interesting question...since I have some older SCSI equipment as well. Here's a USB to SCSI cable I found doing a quick search:

USB CABLE USB TO SCSI CONVERTER CABLE HD-50 MINI 326605 LOW PRICE $59.98

...according to the website this cable is no longer made...but it's existence would mean that it may be available somewhere else...or e-Bay. I have no idea if it works...and if I'm correct...the SCSI end of this cable in the photo above is a "Mini DB50 SCSI connector"...so you would also need a "Mini DB50" to "regular" SCSI adapter to plug it into your scanner.

Like "Chscag" mentioned...a PCIe SCSI card would be an option as well (if you can find one). Doing a quick search...I couldn't find one that specifically said it worked in a Mac Pro...but for the cost of the cards I did find...it would be cheaper just to buy a new USB or firewire scanner.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And depending on the model of your Mac Pro, it may be a PCIE 2 slot which would make the search even more difficult, and maybe even impossible. New scanner as Nick suggests looks like the go.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

To bad you can not use this one.Adaptec SCSI PCI AHA-2940U2B MAC - Apple G3 / G4 Card - eBay (item 360201688475 end time Oct-20-10 20:41:37 PDT)

Ive seen them for pcie2 slots in my searches..just cant tell you where. On the Pro all 4 slots are PCIE...so the USB to SCSI route may be the best bet.. The adapters are out there. Another reason to keep an old Mac around just as a scanner box. I keep seeing the large format scanners at the thrift stores...there going in the dumper.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The Adaptec 2940U is an excellent SCSI adapter. I had one for an older PC desktop that I used for years. Adaptec made that model for both PC and Mac machines. Great adapter. Even had a configurable BIOS built in that you accessed during boot up. I'm not sure I remember how... Control A ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 500 GB Iomega eGo Helium Portable Hard Drive | Applecare Problem »