New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Question RE: Mice and OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

silverwolf761

silverwolf761 is on a distinguished road

I have a Logitech G5 lazer mouse that I've been using for a long time in Windows (which works wonderfully), but it doesn't feel right when I try to use it on my Mac. It's hard to explain, but if I move the mouse a little bit it feels like the sensitivity is less than if I move it a lot (and not 1-to-1 in terms of sensitivity as you would expect).

What I mean by that is the sensitivity of the mouse feels dependant on how fast I move the mouse. To further explain lets say the speed with which I move the mouse can be represented by the numbers 1 to 10, where 1 is slow and 10 is fast.

Moving the mouse at speeds 1-4 will make the pointer move at approx. that same speed (that being slow, and 4 not being appreciably faster than 1), and 5-10 will make it move faster (but at roughly the same speed within that bracket). There aren't any official downloadable drivers from Logitech for this mouse, and since changing some of the sensitivity settings hasn't helped, I'm attributing this to less than stellar default drivers. It's not as noticeable when just browsing the web, but it's incredibly annoying when trying to play games (specifically Diablo II).

I guess my questions are:
- anyone else have this problem?
- will I see this same behaviour with other mice?
- If not, can anyone recommend a good 2-button mouse?

And I just thought I would add that the Logitech G5 has physical buttons on it that allow me to adjust the sensitivity of the mouse on the fly, but none of the 3 settings feel right at all. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might want to check out Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse: Apple . In the comments associated with this article I saw some mention that this mouse works with a program called USB Overdrive although a previous version seems to work better than the current one. Not sure if it addresses all over issues but it might help.

I also saw a post somewhere which hinted that the Logitech Control Center supports this mouse. I haven't found a clear answer on that.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Fodge

Fodge has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM

That's how mice work in OSX. With practice I think you'll find it much easier to control.

Computers don't make mistakes, they do what they do on purpose
~ Dale Gribble
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

A lot of people feel this way, myself included. Fortunately, there is an easy fix. Steermouse is a third party driver that gives you much more control over acceleration and sensitivity. I was able to fine tune it to my taste.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
silverwolf761

silverwolf761 is on a distinguished road

well, that's certainly disappointing

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. It at least gives me something to think about, but the price for Steermouse seems a little steep.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf761 View Post
well, that's certainly disappointing

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. It at least gives me something to think about, but the price for Steermouse seems a little steep.
Oooh, they raised it a bit. It used to be $13, I think.

Anyway, download the free trial and see if it suits your needs. Even at $20, it's worth it. Another option might be to get a Magic Mouse, which feels just about perfect out of the box.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I use steermouse with my logitech G9...it's PERFECT!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HOW TO ROOT DROID 2 On a MAC COMPUTER!!!!!??!?!?!?! | Need a Digital Note Pad »