New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Recovering data off of an external harddrive?

Thread Closed

gizmo8899

gizmo8899 is an unknown at this point

I bought a Western Digital Elements 1.5TB external drive a few months ago, which as worked fine. I always disconnect it properly, etc., but when I got home today and plugged it into my Mac, it failed to be picked up by the computer. The drive seems to be working fine and in Disk Utility it's registering, but indented icon beneath the drive (UNTITLED--I never named my drive) is grey.

I called WD and they told me something is wrong with the partition, and that it needs to be re-partitioned. Thing is, I have a lot of material on the drive which I can't replace. Too much to have backed up elsewhere in a lot of cases, and I really want to get it off. Does anyone know how to do this? I was told there's software which can help me.

I called a data recovery place and they quoted $400-$1900 for the recovery. Ugh. Please, someone help!
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

I don't have any experience with crashed drives but I know that a lot of folks use Data Rescue 3 for Mac when the need to recover files arises.
You can use the trial to see if it can recover the files and then buy it if it can. ($99)

Computer Data Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac - Data Rescue 3

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

Quick question for you ... was it formatted Mac or Fat-32 or NTFS... there are alot of free data recovery tools for Windows ... have not found any for Mac yet but have not had to do a post mortem on a Mac Hard drive yet.

If it is something that can be read by windows you could try PC Inspector smart recovery
or something like it...

I like the stuff from EASEUS but some of their partition fixes are not free.

post is old but this is how I have recoved stuff CE's Geekbook: Do you know what an ID 10 T Error is??? "Data Image Recovery"

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
gizmo8899

gizmo8899 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by csegeek View Post
Quick question for you ... was it formatted Mac or Fat-32 or NTFS... there are alot of free data recovery tools for Windows ... have not found any for Mac yet but have not had to do a post mortem on a Mac Hard drive yet.

If it is something that can be read by windows you could try PC Inspector smart recovery
or something like it...

I like the stuff from EASEUS but some of their partition fixes are not free.

post is old but this is how I have recoved stuff CE's Geekbook: Do you know what an ID 10 T Error is??? "Data Image Recovery"
It was originally formatted for PC, read-only for Mac, but the Apple Care people walked me through formatting it for both. Does that change things?
csegeek

csegeek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more

I would say that it was probably NTFS then and Apple had you format it Fat-32 ... so have you been using it on Windows machines as well...

If that is the case then... see if a windows machine can still read it...

also there are various partition recovery off line Linux Live CD's that will help with recovering lost or broken partitions ... but that would be beyond the scope of what I could put here in the forum..

PM me if you need to.

Ce's GeekBook PC guru wana Be turned Mac geek

Thread Closed

« firewire transfer from imac to MBP? | WD My Book Studio, to buy or not to buy? HELP! »