New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Buying a new battery.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Hello there,

This is my current battery's status:

Of course it is dead. It only lasts for around 15 minutes or something, and that was the last time I tried.

I am going to buy a new battery for now till I get the new MacBook Pro, and that's because I need it for college.

I use my MacBook Pro as a desktop at home. Connected to an external monitor, AC power, keyboard, mouse, etc. and I rarely turn it off as I usually leave it on for downloads and such. I just shut the lid and let it sleep most of the time, not shut it down.

I am pretty sure that's what killed my battery. My question is this: When I buy a new battery, should I use the old one at home and the new one at university? Is that possible (switching them)? Will that have any side effects or is it good to go?

Also, when I buy the new battery, what's the first thing I should do? I heard I should calibrate it, but I don't know what that means or how to do it so if someone can explain/tell me what to do, that would be superb as I don't want the new battery to die on me soon - it costs around $200 USD here .

I appreciate and am thankful for any input from anyone here.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Read this. Apple Portables: Tips for maximizing your battery charge
I would not keep a defective battery in anything I value.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Arrange USB files in order? | Apple Battery Charger - Handles other brand batteries? »