New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

blown logic board & no hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aMFd

aMFd is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

I am new to this site. Needless to say, I bought an item on ebay, and I am blaming this on exhaustion, and I bidded on the computer above the one I actually wanted. So now I went from havine zero Mac's to now having two.

Here is the item number:

It says it has a blown logic board and no hard drive. I really don't know where to start with what I need exactly. Can anyone offer me up some of their expert advice?

Thanks in advance!

aMFd
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Wow...to be really honest & I hate to say it...but you REALLY messed up!!!

You paid $202.50 + $25 shipping for a computer that if it was working 100% is worth a little over $300.

This computer has a blown logic board, no hard drive, and you didn't mention it...but I'm assuming no keyboard & mouse.

You'll find that a replacement logic board for an iMac G5 2.1ghz will cost you anywhere from $250 for a used one to $400-$1000 for a new logic board (depending where you buy it from). But a new one will more realistically cost from $400-$500.

Add to this the cost of a hard drive, keyboard, and mouse!

So putting it all together...to get this computer working once again it will cost:

- $227.50 Original e-Bay cost + shipping
- $250 for a used logic board
- $40 for a new hard drive
- $30 for a keyboard & mouse
- plus any shipping costs if you buy items over the internet
- plus you probably need a ram upgrade since it only has 512meg of ram

Total...$547.50 - $600 (with ram upgrade)

As you can see it's really not worth it for a computer that's worth about $330. Given the high costs of replacement logic boards...this was really NOT a good computer to try to get working again...unless you already had a logic board from another broken iMac G5.

This is a really nice computer if it was working (top of the iMac G5 line)...fastest processor & biggest display!!!

But IMHO...this computer is only good for parts...because the cost of a replacement logic board is just too high!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
aMFd

aMFd is on a distinguished road

Nick-

tell me about it.. im kind of kicking my own *** right now.. so, and im sure ill sound like an idiot, but computers isnt really my thing, if the logic board is blown is there no way to repair it or do i have to get a new/used one..? Do you know what kind i need exactly..?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aMFd View Post
Nick-

tell me about it.. im kind of kicking my own *** right now.. so, and im sure ill sound like an idiot, but computers isnt really my thing, if the logic board is blown is there no way to repair it or do i have to get a new/used one..? Do you know what kind i need exactly..?
Repairing a logic board is pretty serious business. You have to have some way of testing everything on the logic board to see exactly what has gone bad. You also need to know the specs on every component on the logic board to know what voltage or resistance each item is supposed to have.

Believe me...this is something that many many experienced people couldn't fix...and this is WELL beyond any sort of repair job for a self-described "computers isn't my thing" sort of person! Also...it would probably be cheaper to buy a used logic board than to have someone try & repair it. There would just be wayyyyy tooooo many hours & hours of troubleshooting.

Honestly...your two best options for this computer are:

- put it back for sale on e-Bay...and hopefully someone will buy it for parts
- go back to your e-Bay auction, and contact the high bidders who came in 2nd or 3rd place...and see if they are still interested in it.

Bottom line...get it sold for as much as possible...and if you can't recover all your money...consider the loss a lesson well learnt!

Good luck,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Agree with Nick get what you can for it advertising as for parts only. Whenever you purchase a machine in that condition you can rest assured its days are over BIG TIME!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firewire types w/ Cinema Display ???? | HELP ME, PLEASE! 10.5.6 MacBook Kernel Panic. »