New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External HD help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lchoke

lchoke is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

First Id just like to say after being a long time windows user i upgraded to my first mac other than just ipods.(lol) A macbook Pro 13'' with 250GB HD. Now I am no computer wiz which I know most of you probably are thats why I am here. The 250gb HD is probably enough for me but i do have about 50gbs of music and Im always getting more also i will be adding video and my own recordings to the Macs HD. So I was thinking of getting a low priced external HD but being CPU illiterate I come here for help. Below is a list of questions and what I need in a HD any recommendations and answers to my questions is very appreciated.

Questions-
- is it simple for me to use a program like AVCware to get all my songs of my ipod and onto an external HD?
-is it easy for me to play the songs off the external HD in itunes?
-what else can i use an external HD for?

I may think up more so bare with me lol

Requirements-
-SIMPLICITY
-dosent need to be more than 250GB but if its not alot more 500 would be excellent.
-under 100 USD would be excellent.
-Id like to buy in person so something from a best buy or a Walmart/Meijer or something like that would be best but if online is the best deal i can do that.

may add more later but thats all for now thanks alot guys!!

ps. remember to keep it simple im no cpu wiz.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Moved. Does not belong in "Anything Goes". Please read forum descriptions prior to posting.
QUOTE Thanks
lchoke

no need to be rash sorry for putting it in the wrong spot though. I guess i figured anything goes in anything goes got no help for me though?
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

1) I'm not sure, but an external HD works just like an internal one when formatted as NTFS. If you're using Snow Leopard, you will have no trouble reading and writing to it just like you can do on Windows.

2) You can get whatever size you want, it's a matter of preference. Don't be lazy and search for an external HD yourself. I'd try Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! they have a lot and a lot of them are cheap. I recommend a Western Digital external HD because they aren't expensive, good quality, and they are as easy as Plug and Play. If you're unsure about prices, a $50 USD one would be great.

Good luck and if you need anything else, ask.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

So I see you beat me to it. I've been using Western Digital external Hard Drives for years now and I haven't had a single problem. But anyway, I guess this one is very good from the ones you listed: Walmart.com: Seagate FreeAgent GO 500GB 5400RPM Portable Hard Drive, Silver w/ Silver Trim: Computers
QUOTE Thanks
lchoke

ya i mean im doing research im not being lazy i just dont really know what to look for you didnt help much with any of my questions tho do you ppl just come to post and try and sound smarter? i dont think u maybe read the entire OP thanks anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoke View Post
no need to be rash sorry for putting it in the wrong spot though. I guess i figured anything goes in anything goes got no help for me though?
Did you read the Sticky Post at the beginning of the "Anything Goes" forum?

And, your question has already been answered.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

lchoke, I was just trying to clarify some things, I'm sorry if that didn't answer your questions. I have never tried to sound smarter than you, and I don't really get why you're taking it that way. Don't come here with that attitude if you're expecting someone to try and help you - it's not like we're getting paid to do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth Aluminum Keyboard not Connecting to Windows 7 - SOLUTION | external hdd help??? »