New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Personal Laserwriter won't power on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KatMac

KatMac is on a distinguished road

I have the old personal laserwriter (over $700 in '92 - ouch!) and it won't power on for me. Any ideas? It's connected to a functioning 6100/66.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What do you mean by "won't power on"? No AC power or doesn't work with your 6100? If the PS in the Laserwriter is shot, depending on which model it is, it may not be worth repairing.
QUOTE Thanks
KatMac

It's connected to the 6100/66. It's worked with that machine in the past. I plug it in to the power strip, hit the on/off button and the indicator on the top of the printer won't light up.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMac View Post
I have the old personal laserwriter (over $700 in '92 - ouch!) and it won't power on for me. Any ideas? It's connected to a functioning 6100/66.
A new PRAM battery in your 6100/66 fixed it's problems...I'm afraid that an easy fix like that isn't available for the printer.

Like I mentioned in your other thread...if you can get $10 bucks ($20 tops) for the 6100/66...snap it up!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's connected to the 6100/66. It's worked with that machine in the past. I plug it in to the power strip, hit the on/off button and the indicator on the top of the printer won't light up.
You didn't mention the model, but there should be several fuses in the machine if I remember correctly. One that protects the PS, the other for the Fuser. Pull the casing off from the back or side (depending on model) and see if you can get at the PS. Check the PS fuse. If you're lucky, it's a blown fuse. If you replace it and the new one blows immediately, it's probably a PS short. Time to give up on it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You didn't mention the model, but there should be several fuses in the machine if I remember correctly. One that protects the PS, the other for the Fuser.
That would certainly be an easy fix! I can hear the OP now..."Please please please let it be a fuse!"

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Did you pull the toner out and try to turn it on. Change the power cable and make sure its plugged in on the back tight.
QUOTE Thanks
KatMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
Did you pull the toner out and try to turn it on. Change the power cable and make sure its plugged in on the back tight.
Tried that, no luck. Where's the fusebox located so I can check and see if it's a fuse (hopefully!) issue?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

You're going to need a service manual to look at. It's been so long since we had one of those around.... Anyway this site has Apple service manuals that go back to the Civil War days.

Check it out and let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
KatMac

I tried accessing the manual, no luck. I have the Personal Laserwriter LS.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Time to buy an replacement laser printer. Don't know what your needs are, but if you need one for office use rather than home, it's best to go with a HP heavy duty model. I've found they usually hold up best under busy use. For the home, you probably can go with any model that is compatible with your Mac. I've found that Brother, HP, and Canon generally are good.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
You might have paid $700 for this laser printer in 1992...but it's worth next to nothing now!

Sure it's a nice compatible setup with your 6100/66...but when a laser printer goes...well it goes...and way too expensive to even think about fixing!

I agree with "chscag"...might be time for a new or newer printer. The biggest problem is finding one that will be compatible with your 6100/66...which may be next to impossible. The best alternative would be to find something for sale on e-Bay (early to mid-90's vintage)...so it will work with your 6100/66.

I happen to still have an HP 5MP that I used with my Mac's from the mid-90's...and I have an HP 1200 that I got in the early 2000's which may also be compatible. These could be something to look for (other than compatible Apple printer models).

Good luck,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
You might have paid $700 for this laser printer in 1992...but it's worth next to nothing now!

Sure it's a nice compatible setup with your 6100/66...but when a laser printer goes...well it goes...and way too expensive to even think about fixing!

I agree with "chscag"...might be time for a new or newer printer. The biggest problem is finding one that will be compatible with your 6100/66...which may be next to impossible. The best alternative would be to find something for sale on e-Bay (early to mid-90's vintage)...so it will work with your 6100/66.

I happen to still have an HP 5MP that I used with my Mac's from the mid-90's...and I have an HP 1200 that I got in the early 2000's which may also be compatible. These could be something to look for (other than compatible Apple printer models).

Good luck,

- Nick
I saw one of the HP 5 mp's this week at the thrift store. Has the Apple Talk jack. It was like $5.00 tops. Any Postscript Laser printer will work over Appletalk or Ethernet.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
I saw one of the HP 5 mp's this week at the thrift store. Has the Apple Talk jack. It was like $5.00 tops. Any Postscript Laser printer will work over Appletalk or Ethernet.
Wow...$5 bucks...that thing might even still work with "modern" Macs. I think that there was also a HP 6MP printer.

Of course the EXPENSIVE part (like most printers)...would be the cost of a toner cartridge.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Wow...$5 bucks...that thing might even still work with "modern" Macs. I think that there was also a HP 6MP printer.

Of course the EXPENSIVE part (like most printers)...would be the cost of a toner cartridge.

- Nick
I was back in that thrift store today"the one where I got the G5" The laser printer is still in the back room and may never be put out...most likely it will be dumped. And I get Toners for my Apple Laserwriter Pro 630 at the thrift store its the same one that fits HPs 98A.... Also for brother and there like $3-5 new never opened. I know where a Magicolor is right now for $19.00....But it needs all toners and would cost $165.00 to fix it. I like the deal that works with little out lay.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Raid Problems - how to fix | Need Help and/or Comments Please! »