New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External hard drives not recognized by new imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

teethdr

teethdr is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a 27 inch iMac and I am unable to get my external hard drives to mount. One is a new seagate and the other is a simpletech that is several years old. Both are NTFS formatted and neither of them show up on desk utility or system profiler. I downloaded Tuxera NTFS-3G but that did not help. Both external hard drives work on my PC laptop and on a friends 24 inch iMac. I know the USB ports work because I have a card reader and a flash drive that work no problem. Anybody have any idea what might be the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If neither of them are showing up from Disk Utility or the System Profiler, it could be caused by too much power being drawn from the USB ports or the ports are not working right. Card readers and flash drives generally draw very little power compared to most hard drives or an iPod.

You might want to run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine to see if anything shows up.
QUOTE Thanks
teethdr

Ok. I tried 2 other hard drives, one formatted NFTS and the other some Windows format, and they both worked. I'm baffled.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If neither of them are showing up from Disk Utility or the System Profiler, it could be caused by too much power being drawn from the USB ports or the ports are not working right. Card readers and flash drives generally draw very little power compared to most hard drives or an iPod.

You might want to run the Apple Hardware Test on your machine to see if anything shows up.
It still might be the USB Power as the other units you tried might draw less power.

Are you plugging the driver directly into the computer?

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
teethdr

I think you're right. I tried two smaller external hard drives and they both worked fine on my iMac. Both of the hard drives that fail to mount are much larger (320GB and 500GB) with external power supplies. These do, however, work on an older 24 inch iMac. This is actually my 2nd 27 inch iMac in a month because Apple replaced the original with the exact same problem. Is this a common problem for them I wonder?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rain mStand vs elago L2 Stand | 6100/66 help »