New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

6100/66 help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KatMac

KatMac is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to boot up my old 6100/66. I have tried it on an AppleColor RGB monitor and a Portrait Pivot 1700 monitor, but nothing shows up on the screen. If the battery were dead, it wouldn't boot up at all, right?
The green light comes on and I can hear the machine whirring away.
How do I troubleshoot this?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

In my experience the 6100 Powermacs are one of the models where if the PRAM battery is dead it will not boot up. Replace the battery ($4.99)...and it should startup ok.

HTH,

- Nick

3.6v Newer Technology Lithium 1/2 AA PRAM Com... (3.6VPRAM) at OWC

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
KatMac

Thanks much, I've got one on order and I will give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMac View Post
Thanks much, I've got one on order and I will give it a try.
Please let us know if it solves the problem!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Please let us know if it solves the problem!
Hey Nick, how come you didn't recommend your Alkaline battery and scotch tape method of replacing the PRAM battery?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Hey Nick, how come you didn't recommend your Alkaline battery and scotch tape method of replacing the PRAM battery?
Wow...you remembered that one! Ha ha!

I would have suggested something like that...but that temp. PRAM battery was for a "weird" Apple Powermac 4400...which used a "brick"or box shaped PRAM battery...and was 4.5volts...so you could stack three 1.5 volt AA batteries together to get a temporary PRAM battery.

The more common round cylindrical PRAM battery that Mac's used for a long time is/was 3.6 volts. Might have to get real creative making a 3.6 volt temp. PRAM battery (kind of a weird voltage number).

Maybe I'll have to think on it & see what combination of "off the shelf" batteries would work. Then we would have a good way for folks to test their system to verify if their problem is a dead PRAM battery.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Or...You can go to Radio Shack and get a 3 AA holder...I did that on a Starmax..had the same brick battery. And for the KatMac ... some of theses older Macs will not lite a monitor with a dead battery.
QUOTE Thanks
KatMac

Thanks! The new battery did the trick.
Next question, how do I wipe out all my personalized settings, etc. so I can post this Mac for sale?
(When the AOL screen comes up, all my screen names are listed. Things like that.)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Thanks! The new battery did the trick.
Next question, how do I wipe out all my personalized settings, etc. so I can post this Mac for sale?
(When the AOL screen comes up, all my screen names are listed. Things like that.)
Awesome that the battery did the trick! I have a 6100, it had a dead PRAM battery...and a new one did the trick as well.

As far as the hard drive. Do you have an OS install disk (I'm assuming your running OS 8 or 9 on it)? If so boot the computer from it, open a program called Disk Utility (or something like that)...over-write the hard drive with 1's or 0's (if you have that option)...then reinstall the OS.

Regarding selling the computer. I hope you're not expecting to get very much for it. This computer is 15 years old, you may not even get any interest. Personally I wouldn't pay more then $10 bucks...I actually got mine for free. These old computers just aren't worth very much.

When I suggested getting a new PRAM battery I thought you were keeping the computer not selling it. That PRAM battery probably cost you close to $10 bucks with shipping...that's basically the 100% of the value of the computer! it might have been better to have sold the computer with the old dead battery. You still might have gotten $10 for it.

In any case...good to hear the battery helped.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
KatMac

Just saw an Apple system go for $300 on eBay and the buyer paid $175 shipping too, so you never know.
This is the whole shebang, with printer, scanner, modem, mic and more. I will give it a shot and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Just saw an Apple system go for $300 on eBay and the buyer paid $175 shipping too, so you never know.
I've seen a lot of "Apple Systems" go for $300 and a lot more $$$....the problem is I'm almost 100% sure that this $300 Apple System wasn't a Powermac 6100!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External hard drives not recognized by new imac | NAS For file server and storage? »