New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Time machine or western digitals software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMacSam

iMacSam is on a distinguished road

I have decided on which external hard drive I need to back up my iMac. It's a Western Digital 500GB My Passport Studio. However it comes with its own back up software. Should I just delete the software off of the drive and use time machine or use the WD software provided?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

When you have a question about using the back up software, do you want to head for one of the many good Apple forums for help and advice or do you want to go to the WD forum?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Chef_eam

Chef_eam is a jewel in the roughChef_eam is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S

Use Time Machine and forget about the WD Smartware.
QUOTE Thanks
iMacSam

iMacSam is on a distinguished road

What should I do when I get the drive. Just delete the WD backup software?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
When you have a question about using the back up software, do you want to head for one of the many good Apple forums for help and advice or do you want to go to the WD forum?

That's a great selling point for any Apple vs non-Apple product that I hadn't thought of.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Two points on that though:

1. Isn't there a difference in HOW Time Machine backs data up vs other sync software and is it not possible that someone might like the method used by something other than Time Machine ?

2. You are seeming to imply that if it's not an Apple product, that no one here or on another Mac forum will have knowledge about it.

It's quite possible that people here have actually experienced the differences between WD's backup software vs Time machine, so the OP has a valid question.

The other thing to note is that if the OP goes to a non Mac based forum, he'll be getting information about WD software from people likely running Windows, which may or may not be accurate, relevant or consistent with what a Mac user may experience.

That said, I personally don't care for how Time Machine backs things up as system restore points. I don't need such a thing, I only need specific folders backed up and like to use software which will compare the contents of said folders and make sure that the back up drive is (second drive) is up to date with the data on my first drive. I know that Time Machine does that, but it goes a bit beyond that and in a way that I don't particularly care for. (please correct me if I'm wrong and TM does things how CCC does)

Someone suggested Carbon Copy Cloner. I second this suggestion or any thing else like it. Sorry I can't speak for the WD software, never used it.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacSam View Post
What should I do when I get the drive. Just delete the WD backup software?
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Use Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner.
Use both.. You can substitute SuperDuper! for CCC if you prefer one over the other.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacSam View Post
I have decided on which external hard drive I need to back up my iMac. It's a Western Digital 500GB My Passport Studio. However it comes with its own back up software. Should I just delete the software off of the drive and use time machine or use the WD software provided?
Well, let's think about this for minute.

Who made your computer? Apple.

Who makes Time Machine?

How in the ever-lovin' name of Bob would some WD port job from their PC side work in any way better with your Mac than software made by Apple?

I hope I have enlightened you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Canon MP160 Scanning Problems on Mac 10.6.4 | 16GB Memory pen formatting to 200MB on PC »