New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

External hard drive constantly being ejected

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brightondf

brightondf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 2005. 6.5 GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8. Macbook 2.4 GHz core 2 Duo, 2 GB, OS X 10.5.8

I have 3 external hard drives plugged in via usb2 to my machine. I have recently added a couple of PCI cards to give me more USB ports and I was thinking maybe it was these that were playing up and suddenly ejecting the drives - which then gave me the error warning message about damaging data if things are not removed correctly....
anyway thinking it was the new pci cards playing up I move 2 of the external drives to the main usb ports but i am still getting this problem.
The Hard drives I am using are WD. Anyone else had this problem with external hard drives becoming unconnected suddenly? any advice appreciated....
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Moved to appropriate forum.

Not much to go on here since you didn't mention anything at all about your machine or which version of OS X you're running.

I can think of two reasons the drives are dismounting. Not enough power coming thru the USB ports (I know you stated you tried adding ports using PCI cards) or the USB system is not functioning.

I'm assuming you have a Mac Pro or other tower Mac.... Have you tried using firewire? Does the same happen with other USB hardware such as a flash drive or optical drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Postoak

Postoak is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5", 3.33Ghz Intel, 8Gb Ram, 1Tb HD, / White MacBook, 2.4Ghz Intel, 2Gb Ram, 160Gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Moved to appropriate forum.
This still confuses me on this forum. When a moderator moves something to another forum I am lost as to where to go look for it.

brightondf

Mac Specs: Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5 2005. 6.5 GB Ram, OS X 10.5.8. Macbook 2.4 GHz core 2 Duo, 2 GB, OS X 10.5.8

deleted sorry for the repetition.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Please do not start a new thread or crosspost on the same subject. Alway post back to the original thread. Starting a new thread for the same thing causes confusion and clutters the forum with unnecessary replies
QUOTE Thanks
brightondf

just added my spec details so dunno if that helps

"I can think of two reasons the drives are dismounting. Not enough power coming thru the USB ports (I know you stated you tried adding ports using PCI cards) or the USB system is not functioning.
Have you tried using firewire? Does the same happen with other USB hardware such as a flash drive or optical drive?"

I haven't tried using firewire as the PCI cards just give 4 usb ports each. I have tried plugging in to the USB at the front of the machine and it works fine.
I have the mouse and keyboard both plugged into these PCI usb ports and have never had a problem with them.
As the external hard drives both have their own power why would they need to draw power from the USB ports? or is there still a certain amount of power needed just to run the data through the cables? So do you think maybe i should get rid of one of these PCI cards so that less power is taken?
QUOTE Thanks
brightondf

Hi sorry to come back to an old post that no one seems to have an answer for but I am still getting the same issue with my HD being ejected.
I have now changed the PCI card to a different one made by a different manufacturer but still any HD plugged into it gets ejected at some point in the day. It is not instant and can be several hours after the machine was first switched on.
Any ideas anyone?
thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Menubar Battery Icon | Deleted Partition... I think. »