New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Backing up data (time machine)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

malamus

malamus is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I have a two part question, well, they could be two separate questions but they are both to do with backing up data.

Recently I transferred a bunch of photos to an external HD which then crashed and I slung it in annoyance, I realized that I hadn't made a backup, I'd just moved them. originals were dig out of boxes, lofts etc but there were some total losses...

1) What method of backing up do you recommend. I think I would like to keep my macbook pros hard drive clear of clutter which these images will quickly become. I shoot many images, make edits and then they are printed/posted, never to be looked at again but copies are needed just in case. I also want to keep family photos very safe. Id like to keep all versions of software PS 2-3 etc as a backup but as I use CS5, all old applications can be removed.

2) Until I find the answer to the above question I have purchased a WD passport studio 640GB HD and used timemachine to back everything up.
Can I partition the drive after a complete timemachine backup so I can use it like a normal HD in order to easily transfer files from my home to office mac without the need to carry the lappy.

When it comes to backing up / hard drives etc, I am totally clueless. The issues I have with time capsule are: price, why do I need it to be a wifi base; is not RAID 1 (is RAID 1 really 2x secure, power surge etc)

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A Hard drive for sharing PC and Mac | Time Machine hangs »