New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

imac G4 upgraded!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

madmist78

madmist78 is on a distinguished road

Setting up my wife's imac g4 800mhz, and installed 1 gb of ram ( 512 internal and external ) up from just the factory 256.

After install, the RAM appears properly in the " About this MAC" but I guess I'm not really sensing the speed difference.

I'm definitely more used to PC's, and am accustomed to making virtual memory tweaks after installing more RAM.

Besides the rest of the tweaks I've seen around, are there any that need to be done after a RAM upgrade?

Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Your right about the "virtual memory" swapping slowing things down on a computer with not enough ram. But maybe this iMac G4 was running well on just the factory 256meg before the upgrade. Of course 1 gig of ram will help when doing other things...like programs that require more ram...or having multiple applications open at the same time.

The whole ram thing also depends on what OS version this iMac G4 is running. The older the OS version...the better it will run on just 256meg of ram.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Reformatting a USB drive | Tragic Mackpad - Love it »