New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Reformatting a USB drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

Okay, so I went into Disk Utility, clicked on the USB drive I had plugged in, and then selected the Erase tab. I'm confused on formats.

What's the difference between:

Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS X Extended
Mac OS X Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OS X Extended (Case Sensitive)

Which one is appropriate for a thumb drive? And if I ever plug the USB drive into a Windows computer, will Windows be able to read a Mac OS X Extended format? A little confused here.

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Use "MS-DOS" for a thumb drive. For a hard disk, you'll want Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Honestly not even sure why they'd offer the options of the other formats.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

And is it true that to format the USB drive in Fat32 and to work on both OSX and Windows, it needs to be formatted on a WINDOWS machine ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
And is it true that to format the USB drive in Fat32 and to work on both OSX and Windows, it needs to be formatted on a WINDOWS machine ??
Nope, not a bit. The "MS-DOS" option in Disk Utility formats it as FAT32. I've been doing it for ages, never had a compatibility issue.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Nope, not a bit. The "MS-DOS" option in Disk Utility formats it as FAT32. I've been doing it for ages, never had a compatibility issue.
Mmmmmm interesting as i have had issues. Might look at a pricier USB drive instead of the cheapie's then, for better compatibility ....

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

So what about Security? There are options to choose from.

Don't Erase Data
Write Zeros
7-Pass Zero (US DOD compliant)
35 Pass Zero (35x overwrite)

Would it affect anything?

 iPad mini 1st gen - iOS 8.0.2
 iPod touch 5th gen - iOS 8.0.2
 Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.9.5
 MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.10 PB4
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
So what about Security? There are options to choose from.

Don't Erase Data
Write Zeros
7-Pass Zero (US DOD compliant)
35 Pass Zero (35x overwrite)

Would it affect anything?
Depends on how sensitive the data was that had been stored on it and how you use your drive.

If you're selling it on eBay, do the 7-pass. If you're traipsing across the world with it, but will be using it routinely, a regular "write zeros". And if it's not going to leave your house, just do a plain old format.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to do a 35 pass zero. It's more likely that the drive would mechanically fail long before someone could possibly recover data from something overwritten in 7 passes.

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Mmmmmm interesting as i have had issues. Might look at a pricier USB drive instead of the cheapie's then, for better compatibility ....
The only issue you'll run into using Disk Utility to format a USB or any external drive to FAT-32 is if you do not use the correct formatting procedure. Disk Utility will default to formatting FAT-32 (MS DOS) as GUID. That's not good because it creates a small 200 MB EFI partition on the drive in the process. That will usually cause a Windows machine to only "see" that first small EFI partition and not the rest of the drive. I have had this happen to me several times.

When formatting any drive to FAT-32 using Disk Utility, always select the MBR choice. No 200 MB EFI partition will be created then.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The only issue you'll run into using Disk Utility to format a USB or any external drive to FAT-32 is if you do not use the correct formatting procedure. Disk Utility will default to formatting FAT-32 (MS DOS) as GUID. That's not good because it creates a small 200 MB EFI partition on the drive in the process. That will usually cause a Windows machine to only "see" that first small EFI partition and not the rest of the drive. I have had this happen to me several times.

When formatting any drive to FAT-32 using Disk Utility, always select the MBR choice. No 200 MB EFI partition will be created then.

Regards.
Interesting. That has not been my experience to-date with dozens of different drives.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:

Regards.
Nice one chscag i think you hit the nail on the head for me. This has been my minor problem with the formatting process Thanks

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Interesting. That has not been my experience to-date with dozens of different drives.
I erased and formatted an external USB FireLite (SmartDisk) drive that I was using for my Win 7 backups. Without thinking, I used Disk Utility which resulted in creating that 200 MB EFI partition in addition to the remainder of the free space. I tried everything including Partition Magic to remove the partition and nothing worked. Even Disk Manager from Win 7 refused to remove it.

I finally wound up doing some digging on Google and found a way to remove all partitions from the drive using a command line routine from Win 7. I have it bookmarked if you ever need it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Ardanx

Ardanx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I erased and formatted an external USB FireLite (SmartDisk) drive that I was using for my Win 7 backups. Without thinking, I used Disk Utility which resulted in creating that 200 MB EFI partition in addition to the remainder of the free space. I tried everything including Partition Magic to remove the partition and nothing worked. Even Disk Manager from Win 7 refused to remove it.

I finally wound up doing some digging on Google and found a way to remove all partitions from the drive using a command line routine from Win 7. I have it bookmarked if you ever need it.

Regards.

Hi there I have exactly the same trouble as you have and now my USB drive does not work with Windowns.
Would you share the link please and give some more details how you managed to get rid of the problem?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardanx View Post
Hi there I have exactly the same trouble as you have and now my USB drive does not work with Windowns.
Would you share the link please and give some more details how you managed to get rid of the problem? Thanks.
Here it is: LINK

NOTE: You must use a CMD prompt from within Windows in order for the procedure to work. Make sure you first attach the drive and it can be seen by the Windows Disk Manager.

When issuing the command make sure you address the correct drive! Remove any other drive attached to the machine first! You can not do any harm to your internal drive since it has no effect on a working drive.

Also, important! Make sure the drive does not contain data you wish to keep, since everything will be wiped out in the process.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Format an un-mountable external SSD drive | imac G4 upgraded!! »