New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Other Hardware and Peripherals Other Apple systems and peripherals discussion.

Magic Trackpad - no left-handers?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I just received my Magic Trackpad.

Very nice, except I can't get it to do a double click. In fact the only click I can get it to do is a right click.

Experiment has shown this is because I am left-handed and have my mouse set to reverse the buttons.

I am hoping to use both the mouse (left-handed) and the Trackpad. Is this possible please? Can I teach the Trackpad I am left-handed?

Separate question - how do you do a right click with the Trackpad anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Incidentally, the Apple website seems to think there is a Trackpad pane in System Preferences. I don't have one of those. Any idea why not please?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post
I just received my Magic Trackpad.

Very nice, except I can't get it to do a double click. In fact the only click I can get it to do is a right click.

Experiment has shown this is because I am left-handed and have my mouse set to reverse the buttons.

I am hoping to use both the mouse (left-handed) and the Trackpad. Is this possible please? Can I teach the Trackpad I am left-handed?

Separate question - how do you do a right click with the Trackpad anyway?
In your first sentence you say all you can do is a "right click"...and then in your last sentence you say..."How do you do a right click with the Trackpad anyway?" So do you or don't you know how to do a right click?

To do a right click on the Magic Trackpad...you tap the Magic Trackpad with two fingertips simultaneously.

Just in case...you do know that you need OS 10.6.4 installed to use the Magic Trackpad...and you need to install the latest Trackpad software.

Here's the link for the software update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1066

Hope this helps,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Incidentally, the Apple website seems to think there is a Trackpad pane in System Preferences. I don't have one of those. Any idea why not please?
That's because (according to your profile) you have a desktop Mac. Mac laptops have a trackpad system preference because of the laptops built-in trackpad...desktops don't have a built-in trackpad...that's why you don't have a trackpad system preference on your iMac.

It sounds to me that you didn't install the trackpad software update.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

After I had installed the Trackpad, I ran Software Update again and it installed an update for the Trackpad. It seems you only get that after you connect the Trackpad. Very neat.

Now I have the new pane in System Preferences. I can set the second tap, which works fine.

First impressions are good. It feels very like using the iPad. Not sure if I will move permanently from the Logitech cordless keyboard and Marble Mouse, but it does look good with the Trackpad and Bluetooth keyboard.

Cool
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
After I had installed the Trackpad, I ran Software Update again and it installed an update for the Trackpad. It seems you only get that after you connect the Trackpad. Very neat.

Now I have the new pane in System Preferences. I can set the second tap, which works fine.

First impressions are good. It feels very like using the iPad. Not sure if I will move permanently from the Logitech cordless keyboard and Marble Mouse, but it does look good with the Trackpad and Bluetooth keyboard.

Cool
Awesome...glad to see you got the Magic Trackpad running.

Yes the process of installing it is a bit more complex than usual. Like you mentioned...you have to have the Magic Trackpad plugged in first, before trying to apply the software update.

Enjoy the "Magic Trackpad". Kind of neat to be able to do the multi-finger gestures on desktop computers.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
running. you have to have the Magic Trackpad plugged in first, before trying to apply the software update.
How do you plug in a wireless device? I read your post and was like hmmm I don't see any spots to attach power or USB or other cords to the trackpad. So I'll ask you what did you mean by that? As far as I know you don't plug in a wireless device.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
How do you plug in a wireless device? I read your post and was like hmmm I don't see any spots to attach power or USB or other cords to the trackpad. So I'll ask you what did you mean by that? As far as I know you don't plug in a wireless device.
You're absolutely correct...nice catch!

I was probably writing quickly...and used the wrong terminology. Instead of saying "plugged in"...I should have said (considering it's a wireless bluetooth device)..."discovered" or "paired".

Thanks for catching that mistake,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo Booth / Skype Video Conflict | Does the Sound Blaster WoW headset have an audio jack? »