Hard Drive iPhoto restore problem
    I'm using a MacBook pro. Because of my rather large iPhoto library, I keep that on a peripheral Lacie Hard Drive....I do however include this library on Time Machine back ups on another peripheral HD. My Lacie Hard Drive is beginning to fail. My back ups are up to date. The problem is to use Time Machine to restore iPhoto to a new functioning peripheral hard drive, it seems I must have the old Lacie hard drive plugged in....the Lacie HD is not stable to last long enough to allow the restore to happen until it hangs up....The question is how to not have the old Lacie HD that is failing attached to my MacBook Pro but still be able to restore back up iPhoto library from Time Machine onto a new peripheral hard drive

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    How long is "not stable to last long enough to allow the restore to happen"?

My thinking is to get the failing hard drive out of the enclosure (if it isn't already) and connect it to your MBP via an adaptor, like this Customer Image Gallery for Sabrent USB-DSC5 Serial ATA or IDE 2.5-/3.5-Inch to USB 2.0 Cable Converter Adapter with Power Supply.

You may be able to transfer your photo library that way, although it may take several (or more) attempts, depending on the LaCie drive.
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Thanks. I will try that

Smile It works
    Thanks hughvan. I ordered the adaptor from Amazon. Arrived today and was a piece of cake to save the iPhoto library off the drive. I'm back in business.

Thread Information